Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Double ended "Glow Staffs": Input on design and electronics

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

probably quicker than 4 screws.

BLUE 3- Ready

It kind of depends on how fast you need them to break too. If you want to be able to break it in the middle of a routine, then the MHS is going to be about your best option. If you just want to have both possibilities though, I think the hardware version will be OK.

And definitely post any progress on the strobing option. I'm not sure how a really fast strobe would work with luxeons, but it might be very cool.( I think the best results will come from something that strobes so fast it almost looks constant while still)
    "vibrations within vibrations, traveling at the speed of color"

"I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. I appreciate the input.

My problem with MHS parts and sink tube adaptors is that you simply cannot lay your hands on sink tubes in the UK. It doesn't seem to be a standard part.

I'd love for the two halves to be able to screw apart but I can't find a practical and cheap enough way of achieving yet. I'm chasing a quote on aluminium pipe to see how feasable that is as a hilt option. I think I could keep the thickess of the inner connector section thin enough to not take up too much space.

I'm not looking at making these products that you can break in two and use as single sabers. My plan is to run the two ends off communal electronics and batteries: one on/off switch, one recharge port, 1 buckpuck(?) (I need to look into the electronics more, I just have been dealing with the practical construction stuff first.)

I'm also confident that I could make a strobe circuit. I'll let you know what success I get doing this with luxeons when I get my hands on all the parts and a breadboard to play around with. I don't anticipate a problem though as I think I've seen at least 1 video of a momentary strobe effect using a luxeon. Also corbin's driver works on some sort of fluctuating principle. I know it's not on/off but it's hight then low so fast that the eye can't differentiate.

In terms of strobe speed, I've had a play with pieces of Aerotech juggling equipment in the past. That stuff strobes at different speeds so I have an idea of the visual effect I'm looking for (just not the actual frequency!).

I might quiz Erv' as he's a fellow EUer so might have some suggestions of suppliers. It's simply not feasable to try and market this product if I have to order weighty and/or expensive stuff from the US. I'll get hammered for import tax and delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Bescherman
    My problem with MHS parts and sink tube adaptors is that you simply cannot lay your hands on sink tubes in the UK. It doesn't seem to be a standard part.
    What do you guys have under your sinks then? If you brits have developed black hole technology to get rid of drainage I really think you should share it with the rest of us...
    "vibrations within vibrations, traveling at the speed of color"

"I've got a bad feeling about this..."

i beleive they only use pvc or plastic.

BLUE 3- Ready

Yup, that's correct. No handy cheap supply of saber tubes for us brits. Trust me, I've looked too, in the hopes of building my own saber
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

there's no way to order a bunch of sink tubes from the us and then sell them to your friends? or you just can't get them?

BLUE 3- Ready

You could try finding electrical conduit. Not sure how cheap an option it is, though.

If I could be sure of enough sales to justify the cost, then maybe....
    As for an alternative, I'm still looking. I thought metal vacuum cleaner hose tubes might be one answer, I even made a junk (non-functional) saber out of one I had lying around:

But I've not been able to find anything in either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" OD. It all seems to be smaller.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus Lupus
    If I could be sure of enough sales to justify the cost, then maybe....
    As for an alternative, I'm still looking. I thought metal vacuum cleaner hose tubes might be one answer, I even made a junk (non-functional) saber out of one I had lying around:

But I've not been able to find anything in either 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" OD. It all seems to be smaller.
    Metal vacuum cleaner hoses? I thought they were all made of plastic. Anyway, they luke pretty neat

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!