Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can I charge my saber via a USB power source like a portable cell charger?

Blog Entries

IMG_0186.jpg

FYI - I charged a 3.7v battery with a mobile charging device using the charging gadget from Adafruit. It charged quickly and nothing blew up. But as for charging a 7.4v, I dunno.

you got a part number for the thing from adafruit?

Quote Originally Posted by hapki View Post
    Attachment 13561

Here's what I'm talking about. I was not correct when I said mini-USB. It's some kind of micro-connector. I can't remember to word, but you can see how it connects to the battery. I manually disconnect the battery from the lead to the sound board, but it seems like it would be easy enough to make it seamless.... By that, I mean, integrate the charging gadget into the saber power line.
    I think the name of that connector is 2-pin Molex.

I figured I'd run into problems with the voltage, I guess I'll have to just get a few 7.4v batteries and swap them out as spares. It would be really cool though to set up 3.7v sabers to plug right into any usb power source...
    Last edited by havoc; 03-21-2016 at 01:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Yes, that's it. I'll stay posted to see if you figure out a way to charge a 7.4v.

So, could you use that charger internally so you wouldn't have to remove the battery, or would you have to have it separate from your saber? Could you just patch into the positive and negative leads to the battery and leave it attached to the charger and saber?

There is a new lightsaber company from Singapore that has computer, wall, car and battery backup charging capabilities. I know it's not allowed to discuss other companies so I won't link to them or mention the name, and I don't know what kind of battery their sabers use but this is a concept that does work in some capacity.
    It may take a brave soul or two just plugging their sabers into 3.7 or 7.4 backup packs and car chargers to see what works...

Blog Entries

My original idea was to put the charger inside the hilt. I hope to do that on a future build. So far, I just haven't been able to make the space for it (even though it is small). I still would use a kill key--just not for recharging.

Bought one of the previously linked Ada USB Lithium battery chargers. It has a way to clip in a battery purchased from that company, and solder through-holes for connecting any battery. I used those through-holes to get power out to the NBv2 board and LED, allowing me to charge the battery via USB without removing the battery. Bonus feature, while the USB is plugged in the saber has a nice 3.7V power supply. This could make a desk decoration saber with no battery, just USB.

Blog Entries

Cool. I'll try that on my next build.