Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can I charge my saber via a USB power source like a portable cell charger?

Default Can I charge my saber via a USB power source like a portable cell charger?

My saber has a recharge port and I'm using a dual-cell 7.4v 18650 setup (this one from TCSS). I own an Anker Astro portable battery to charge my cell phone on-the-go, I'm sure it uses the same batteries on the inside and it has two USB ports that output up to 3A, but the output is 5v. Can I safely make a cable that adapts USB to 2.1mm DC plug? Or will it damage either/both the components and catch on fire?
    Last edited by havoc; 03-11-2016 at 02:28 AM.

While it is possible to make a cable which can charge a 3.4V battery using USB, I don't believe it is possible to charge a 7.4V pack. USB is only 5V. Your cable has to have a charging circuit built in to it (the chip is pretty cheap). Check out this Instructable.

Edited to add: I haven't done this.
    Last edited by rlobrecht; 03-11-2016 at 07:21 AM.

I'm also interested in this.
    Also interested in using the portable charging packs used for cell phones.
    This would come in handy during conventions or longer events.

Blog Entries

Cool idea!

LOL never mind I miss read the question I though you were trying to use an emergency phone battery to charge the saber, not the actual charger
    Last edited by Sevinzol; 03-12-2016 at 10:43 PM.

I'm working on something right now for this but only with the 3.4 battery, not the larger 7.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Avidgrant View Post
    I'm working on something right now for this but only with the 3.4 battery, not the larger 7.4.
    Please keep up posted. I'm very interested in this.

Blog Entries

I got a gadget at Adafruit that charges a 3.7v battery via mini USB. I switched out the plug on the battery to a mini-USB female, and now I can charge using a USB cable. I usually plug it into the wall with an Apple iPhone adapter, plug a USB to mini-USB cable into it, and charge my saber. Charge light is red until fully charged, then it turns green. I like using this better, because sometimes the connection with the kill-key switch isn't very reliable. I still use the kill key and set the saber up to charge that way too. My next task is to hook up R.I.C.E. via USB. This should be easy, since you can get USB pinout boards (not really USB, but using the USB interface).

Blog Entries

IMG_0184.jpg

Here's what I'm talking about. I was not correct when I said mini-USB. It's some kind of micro-connector. I can't remember to word, but you can see how it connects to the battery. I manually disconnect the battery from the lead to the sound board, but it seems like it would be easy enough to make it seamless.... By that, I mean, integrate the charging gadget into the saber power line.