Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Can I charge my saber via a USB power source like a portable cell charger?

A DPDT switch should work well for shunting power from the battery either to the charging circuit or sound board, effectively acting as a kill key. Has anyone built this charger into their saber yet, and if so, did you stick with the default 100mA charge rate or bridge to the 500mA?
    Last edited by Darth Shizzle; 01-28-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Hate to resurrect this thread, but this seemed like the most appropriate one to comment on. Has anyone tried this product?
    https://saberkraft.com/product/sabervolt/

Seems like it might be a good way to have a saber charging on your hip during a convention while not in use, drawing power from a portable cell charger stored in a belt pouch or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrylum View Post
    Hate to resurrect this thread, but this seemed like the most appropriate one to comment on. Has anyone tried this product?

Seems like it might be a good way to have a saber charging on your hip during a convention while not in use, drawing power from a portable cell charger stored in a belt pouch or something like that.
    This is really intended to make use of a cellphone charger or similar 5v source. This product just a fancy housing for a board you can buy for $6 or less and wire however you like. You can even hard wire it into your hilt if you like to make your saber USB/5v chargeable.

A portable pack often just uses 18650s or some other 3.7v cell, so you'd just be draining one battery into another through circuitry that boots it to 5v, then another that brings it back down to charge your saber. It'll probably do a better job of creating heat than giving you any useful amount of power in time you have it connected.

Here's a (tested and functional) diagram using the Adafruit item linked in this thread. It lets me charge the internal battery with any 5v mini-USB source (they also make a microUSB version).
    WD.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mineral View Post
    Here's a (tested and functional) diagram using the Adafruit item linked in this thread. It lets me charge the internal battery with any 5v mini-USB source (they also make a microUSB version).
    WD.jpg
    Mineral, I like your other diagram better- the one with the kill switch installed. I'm going to link to it here if you don't mind. Oh and I proposed above to put a DPDT switch in to switch power from the battery to the charger or the board but I didn't realize the Adafruit had the cool through-holes for he battery, which makes things much more convenient. Your diagram is much simpler than what I was proposing. Thanks!

Just because I'm learning all this wiring from scratch (been a long time since physics classes), would it also be acceptable to put the kill in the red power wire between the NB and the Adafruit charger board? Would there be any disadvantages to that?
    Last edited by Darth Shizzle; 06-07-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cybernick View Post
    An easy ready made solution.

This is the exact thing we were discussing above...