Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rectangular LEDs

Default Rectangular LEDs

I found some rectangular LEDs on Amazon, but the numbers they give for this product don't make sense. They run at 3.2v and 3.2w, that means each of these run at 1A?! Shape wise, I thought they'd be great for a string blade, but if each of them are drawing 1A, I'll only be able to run the blade for 34 seconds before the battery is drained.

Am I missing something here?

I don't think an 18650 could put out 100 amps... :P

Those are just your regular ~20mA LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    Those are just your regular ~20mA LEDs.
    They do look like that, but I figured if a cree can put out ~1A, the numbers had a chance of being right.

I found it nearly buried in a strange place on the page. The continuous draw is 30mA. For $7.50 shipped, I'm getting some!

Keep in mind that that's the max continuous draw, not the typical drive current.

I got the shipment of rectangular LEDs yesterday and finished my new blade today. I have to say that the rectangular shape of the LEDs makes them very easy to handle, manipulate, and create ladders. MUCH easier than standard round LEDs.

I made two ladders and stacked them one atop the other. Very easy and space economical, because they're practically flat! I encased them in heat shrink, wrapped them up in 1/32" packing foam and stuffed the whole thing into my blade with a quad diffusion wrap. The result, is a beautiful and solid looking blade! 170 LEDs pulling 3,400 mA with a 3,400 mAH battery, so I should get almost exactly 1 hour of run time.

I'll definitely be using these beauties again!

BTW, this is a clear blade, not a trans white blade.

Last edited by CET; 03-20-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Well done. It is always interesting to see some alternative options.

Quote Originally Posted by Sincenatic View Post
    Well done. It is always interesting to see some alternative options.
    For me, these are my new normal goto for string blades. This company even makes them in RGB! Obviously, I have to make one of those now.

Blog Entries

Nice work. Looks very even.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

That's one sweet looking saber. How did you build the hilt? I think I see blade holder 20, but I'm not completely sure.

170 LEDs pulling 3,400 mA with a 3,400 mAH battery, so I should get almost exactly 1 hour of run time.
    If you are running a Lithium Ion battery, I would be careful about fully discharging the battery. They usually don't like that http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...oltage_cut_off