Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First Build List - MAGLIGHTSABER

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jvward View Post
    Hi Darth,

Got it, I updated my tables accordingly.
    I can only comment on the specs given by TCSS They are different in terms of forward voltage.

so basically getting values like .6 ohm .6 watts for the blue LEDs and .2 ohm .2 whats for the white LEDs, so I should be using the exact resistor you listed:
    No. 0.47 would be too low for something coming out to 0.6. you always round up, never down.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/47...stor-P947.aspx

For the Red LED I got 1.6 ohm and 1.6 watts, but the vendor said I may want to go with something like this:
    Per TCSS specs, that would be an acceptable resistor for the red to run at near max current.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/12...istor-P22.aspx

Since the vendor said to mix the red and blue to get purple I should use a 3 watt resistor on the RED led?
    Wattage only refers to the amount of power the resistor dissipates. It does not affect color intensity or mixing abilities. You'll want to experiment with resistor values (ohms) when mixing the way your are. Madcow made a video on the subject which you can find in the videos section.

For the LED on my momentary switch, one of these should be ok? 20mA DynaOhm™ Variable Resistor: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/20...stor-P847.aspx
    Many people choose to use that and it's fine. Too big in my opinion, but its an easy solution.
    Do I need to worry about resistors on the NB v3 or the speaker?
    No. Neither the NB nor the speaker require resistors.

Oh, and you can call me DC
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 03-14-2016 at 12:03 PM.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Hi Darth,

Thanks for all the info and from preventing me from ordering the wrong resistors! Might I hit you up for one last question If I am using TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400mAh 18650 Lithium Battery can I use Switchcraft 2.1mm Power Jack only for its "kill key" functions and not as a charging port? (if it works as charging port also thats an added bonus!)

-Jeff

Blog Entries

I believe you can use it as a kill key, but I think it's not recommended to charge removable cells with it. Someone with more experience can weigh in if I'm wrong on that.

If you're going to have a removable cell instead of in-hilt recharge, it might be more convenient to use a kill switch instead of a kill key. That way you don't have a little greebly floating around waiting to get lost

Thanks NanoRex and Darth. Just wondering in the hilt where is the ideal place to have the sound card, towards the end, centered, or as close to the LED as possible?

Blog Entries

Typically toward one end or the other. Pommel end is more common and generally easier. Look up resonance chamber or just resonance for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by jvward View Post
    Thanks NanoRex and Darth. Just wondering in the hilt where is the ideal place to have the sound card, towards the end, centered, or as close to the LED as possible?
    Placing the sound board away from the middle can help make motion sensing more responsive

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Placing the sound board away from the middle can help make motion sensing more responsive
    Thanks for the save. I misread and thought he said speaker.

Who wants to see some finished product!

So for the record I am a volunteer EMT for a few years and have recently started doing volunteer fire fighting, and maglights have always been my go to service flashlight and something I always thing of when I think of armed forces of any type. So the design principle behind my first two sabers, were for them to be used by a force sensitive storm trooper (I know they probably wouldn't use blue and or purple but that's the colors I wanted!) Anyway I hope you guys enjoy and thanks for all the help! Especially Thanks to DC for answering all my questions!

20160406_041604568_iOS.jpg20160406_041535897_iOS.jpg20160406_041517190_iOS.jpg20160406_041505930_iOS.jpg20160406_041406009_iOS.jpg

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Nice job!