Thread: weathering on WIP project

Default weathering on WIP project

I thought I might post this here as its being steadily done bit by bit. Currently I'm waiting on electronics, and felt the need to weather this one for its final look. I usually go with the "paint and bake" method for my weather work.
    This time I thought it may be fun to do a "paintless" weathering job on this one. I'm posting pics to get some feedback as this is my first all out attempt with no paint what so ever. I will point out that the MHS gear, and the BH did have powder coating on them when I started. Turns out the PC'd pieces took to the weathering process better than I expected.
    I did this entire hilt with the use of Casey's Aluminum black, fine steel wool, med steel wool, and 400 grit polishing sand paper.
    Tell me what you think, feedback and critique is welcome.

Looks great.

Yah, that looks really good.

Blog Entries

I think it looks really good. I like Aluminum Black, used it on a couple sabers myself. It does wear away with handling after a while so if you want to keep it in its current state you'll need to seal it with something.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    I think it looks really good. I like Aluminum Black, used it on a couple sabers myself. It does wear away with handling after a while so if you want to keep it in its current state you'll need to seal it with something.
    I was thinking a clear coat satin out of the spray can. Go one coat or so....

Blog Entries

That'll do it. Was the pattern above the gear intentional? I really like how that area came out. It's very interesting.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    That'll do it. Was the pattern above the gear intentional? I really like how that area came out. It's very interesting.
    Intentional...no for some odd reason it feathered that way. I thought it looked cool. So I left it there.
    Also, two coats of clear satin....really does the trick. Now just waiting on switches, and a sound board to be returned that is out for repair.

So now that I have my chassis figured out. I'm going with a red power on indicator, with the main and aux switches being the blue ring 16mm momentary from tcss. The chassis hosts a 14500 7.4 lit-ion and a CF7.1 for the sound. A 2watt bass speaker and the recharge sits in the box.
    What I'm leaning towards for the blade color is green, green with red FOC. I have a RB,RB, white on the way but I'm beginning to think that's too much blue in one hilt. I like the idea of having several colors to the hilt. Especially since this is my first blinky "Christmas tree" type of set up.
    Any thoughts?

I think it looks awesome! I'm going to have to Google what 'Casey's Aluminum Black' is as I don't know anything (yet) about weathering (or building for that matter) sabers, but I will soon.

that is some damn fine weathering!! i am going to be trying that technique in the future!