Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Everyone! I'm new and would like some help with tools...

Default Hi Everyone! I'm new and would like some help with tools...

Hi to everyone. I’ve been lurking on these boards for some time after stumbling across them when researching Luxeon hilts. I’m now really keen on experimenting with constructing hilts since I have quite reasonable craft ability and some very basic electronic skills

I’ve found a number of tutorials, both on this site and elsewhere (Credit to Erv’ and Corbin for their sites) and have most of the information I need to go and buy my basic tools

However, I haven’t really found a thread that not only draws together what essential tools and materials you need, but also some of the most recommended by experienced builders. If something like this exists already then I’m sorry for duplicating it. I’ve searched all the FAQ threads and used the search feature but can’t find anything like it. *ducks for imminent flaming in case I’ve missed anything*

The closest I found was “Tools of the trade”: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/fo...ht=tools+trade

Here’s my list of what I think I need based on my reading so far. I’m sure that I’ve missed a load of things out so I’d really appreciate your input. I’ll try to keep this list updated as I get recommendations.

If you think any of these are not so important or are absolutely necessary then please let me know if they’re in the wrong list. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Electrics essentials:

-soldering iron and solder (Should I use any specific type? Variable temp, changeable tips? What about lead free solder?)
    -pliers (flat and cutting)
    -a multimeter

Manufacturing essentials:
    - Safety Glasses
    - Drill (and metal bits)
    - Hot glue gun
    - “Dremel” type rotary tool (and a multitude of accessories)
    - Screw tap set (with tap or cutting oil)
    - Hacksaw
    - set of allen wrenches
    - assorted wet/dry sand paper
    - lots of masking tape
    - Aluminum tape
    - Aluminum added resin (Arametal for instance)
    - Bi components mastic (epoxy resin)
    - Cyanoacrylate glue (aka Super Glue 3) with accurate drop applicator

And the really useful but not essential list:
    - Pillar drill (also a bench drill or drill press I believe)
    - Vice
    - Automatic wire stripper
    - Pipe cutter

Ryma Mara

As far as I know the solder to use is any with a rosin core .

Good luck with the list

Dude, I don't think you're going to have to worry about any here if that's the type of resurch you do before posting! In fact, I think you're going to do rather well here.

Glad you've decided to come out of the shadows

Not much I can add to that list right now though... If I think of anything I'll post up.
    Read the Thread Index. because Lord Maul fixed it...

Council Member
    Sith Lord

you'll also want allen wrenches if you buy from here. the rose core solder is definently the best way to go. FYI, just because the solder iron is hot enough to melt solder doesn't mean it is ready to use. i normally wait like 5 min after it melts solder just to make sure it is super hot :P
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

As soon as I started reading... I thought of thread you posted in there. Yup, no flaming. We LOVE people that look before they jump (post).

To your list:
    Solder- Clarifying... lead free and acid free if they have both (never seen both though). After a long bought of soldering cough up blood is no fun. In general soldering isn't too healthy at all even when done with "good" solder. Just the smell of the flux I use will give me a decent headache.

A set of files- flat, rounded and rat tail. Great for after cutting stuff out and cleaning up.

Electrical tape or heatshrink! The bloody stuff is awesome. It safes you from frying stuff and makes it all look better.

Have to echo the tap and drill set also. I always love having the the choice and a bunch of various set screws, socket heads, round heads, etc...

I'll add if I think of anything else I use frequently...
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Welcome,
    I agree - your list looks great. I hope you find all you need, and have fun experimenting.
    We're here to help if we can!

I for one, find your post a refreshing return to the point of this forum!

Cheers,
    MC

I would definitely advocate a snake attachment for the rotary tool. the one I have (from www.sciplus.com) comes with a clamp mount and snake so I can focus on the cuts and not controlling the rotary tool itself.

I have also found something called "Solder glue" or something like that. You supposedly can use it to join wires. you paint it onto the emtwined wires and it creates an insulated connection. haven't used it yet but am going to when I can order from Tim soon.

Your list seems to be about as complete as I could imagine........good work!!
    All things a beginning have.
    As all things do an ending.
    Be not too hasty from one to the other to move, or much will you miss, along the way.

Ryma Mara

Oh I would suggest a tap handle, Micrometer(not the name I forget it ATM buts thats the best name for it I could com up with) and a depth guage.

An impressive list, most impressive. You have done well in your research and the only thing I would add is a small fan to pull the solder fumes away from you so you don't inhale them.
    ;

Do-Clo Custom Sabers
    http://doclocustomsabers.com/
    Replica Prop Artist

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Your not supposed to inhale them???
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop