Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: two activation buttons on NBv3 possible?

Default two activation buttons on NBv3 possible?

Saber Schematic.jpg

Based off of this picture, I want to have two activation buttons in my graflex 2.0, one in the activation box (ESB style) and one up top in the red button (TFA style) was wondering if you can just solder another switch to the soundboard to get two activation switches or would they not work in tandem with each other?

You could always hook them both up outside the hilt to test them out.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I definitely plan on testing everything before I put in the hilt, just wanted to see if any wiring experts knew for sure if it can be done with the NBv3
    Last edited by Mrtoad883; 03-06-2016 at 05:22 PM.

It can be done with any momentary or latching switch in a circuit. Just think logically about how you would wire the switch so that depressing either one closes the circuit, and I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out
    Last edited by NanoRex; 03-06-2016 at 07:17 PM.

Yea, just was hoping someone could do the thinking for me haha

If the switches are wired in parallel, it'll work without any issues.

If you wired them in series, you'd have to press them both at the same time to activate the saber.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Ok so that seems to be the answer. Thanks Silver Serpent I'll look into wiring in parallel

Schematic-2.jpg

I believe this is how the wiring will go. green wiring between them is the common wire which allows them to act in tandem.On the four pronged tactile switches you just have to use opposite diagonal ends and one of the ones left over can be the common one ( i think). Anyone want to double check this to make sure Im right? much appreciated!
    Last edited by Mrtoad883; 03-08-2016 at 11:29 PM.

What do you want to achieve with the two push buttons ?

- activate the saber only if the two buttons are pushed together
    - activate the saber with only one of them, just different positions on the hilt

On your answer depends the wiring you need to do.

In the first case the two buttons must be wired in series.
    In the second case the buttons must go parallel.

Besides, in your last diagram I honestly don't understand the green wire.

There might be variations, but normally a push button needs only two connectors.
    On those 4 pronged tactile switches you probaly have two parallel lines which are closed when the button is pushed, but they are normally isolated from each other.

In this case a multimeter is your best friend to undestand the working mode of your tactile if not sure.

Option 2. Activate the saber with either switch. I assumed you needed to connect the two switches (green wire) but I guess it might not be needed.