Thread: Resistor help needed

Default Resistor help needed

I've purchased a Cree Tri-XP-E2 with amber/amber/white diodes. From the specs in the shop, one of the amber diodes should have a forward voltage of 2.65V at 1000mA, and the white diode has 3.15V at 1000mA.
    Using these specs and the 3.7V, 3400mAh Li-ion battery, I deduced the resistor value to be 1.5 Ohms. The power was calculated at 0.735W rounded up is 1 Watt.

Vf battery = 3.7V;
    Vf LED Amber = 2.65V;
    Vf LED White = 3.15V;
    Ia = 700mA (since Red-Orange is 700mA, and they are close in the color spectrum)
    Iw = 1000mA (correct or should I use the 700mA as well?)

R = (3.7V - 2.65V)/.7A
    R = 1.5 Ohms (round up to 2 Ohms?)

P = 1.5(.7A)^2
    P = 0.735W (round up to 1W) (R = 2 Ohms gives 0.98W)

Since there is a 2 Ohm/1 Watt resistor in the shop, I assume this is an accurate calculation.
    However, the white diode presents me with a problem. my calculations yield a 1 Ohm 1 Watt resistor:

R = (3.7V - 3.15V)/1A
    R = 0.6 Ohms (rounded to 1 Ohm)

P = 0.6(1A)^2
    P = 0.6 W (rounded to 1 Ohm)

I don't see a resistor with this value, so I'm wondering if I should use a 2 Ohm 1 Watt for all three diodes since it works for the amber diodes?
    If you see anything wrong with my calculations please let me know.

All Cree LEDs can be driven at 1000mA.

TCSS has a 1 ohm 2 watt resistor you could use for the white LED. The 0.5 ohm 3 watt resistor is also fine for white Cree LEDs, as long as you only use the LED for FoC.

FoC?
    I only plan on using the LED for the saber. It's my first one and I've been reading as much as I can.
    Thank you for the help.

Blog Entries

FoC = "Flash on Clash" which is a feature on Plecter Labs sound boards. For example, a tri cree RRW can be wired to a Nano Biscotte with the two reds as the main blade color and the white die as FoC for flash effect when the blade is struck against something. It is supposed to emulate the flash effect you see on screen in the movies.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Good to know, I didn't remember seeing FoC in Maul's Dictionary. The sound board is the last piece I need for my saber. Is the TCSS the only place that sells the NBv3 with the pre-set sounds?

Yeah, Lord Maul's dictionary is eight years old now. The only other place to purchase plecter boards is from plecter labs, but they're in France.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic Jedi View Post
    All Cree LEDs can be driven at 1000mA.

TCSS has a 1 ohm 2 watt resistor you could use for the white LED. The 0.5 ohm 3 watt resistor is also fine for white Cree LEDs, as long as you only use the LED for FoC.
    On the topic of resistors, I purchased the 16mm Anti Vandal Short Momentary Switch and found out it had no internal resistor.

With the Vf battery still at 3.7V, and the switch LED at 2.0V and 20mA, I should get a resistance of 85 Ohms and 0.034 Watts.

But the resistors in the shop range from 82 to 560 Ohms, and they don't exceed 1/4 Watts.
    What is the best option for a resistor that I could use? Would I be ok with a 82 Ohm 1/4 Watt resistor?

Blog Entries

A lot of people choose to use this http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/20...stor-P847.aspx.

Note that it does have polarity so it would need to be wired correctly.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

I probably could've just watched the tutorial on AV switch wiring to figure this out in the first place...
    Thank you for your help!