Thread: Wire gauge questions

Default Wire gauge questions

So I know less about eletric current then I thought. Just read this http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Im not sure the difference between "Maximum amps for power transmission" and "Maximum Amps for chassis wiring" is, but with 26awg wire it's saying 2.2 amps chassis wiring and .361amps for power transmission. And it's even less for smaller guage wire like 28awg. My question is are we losing led brightness but using this gauge wire ?
    I can light a small city with my board

You are "overthinking" things. That chart was written assuming that you are using "Alternating Current", which you are NOT. And it also is assuming that you are using 1000 Ft of wiring in between terminal points (Ohms per 1000 Ft.). That chart is meant for commercial power electricity transmission (as used by an Electric Utility Company).

You are using Direct Current (a battery), and (I hope) a lot less than 1000 ft of wire within a saber. Also, if you read the fine print, those are conservative numbers, meant for circuit design only.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 03-02-2016 at 05:23 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Has anyone found a proper resource to determine wire size? Ideally I'd like to use the smallest wires possible for each connection, but don't want to be choking out any power.

I've been using 28 gauge wire for a while now, and I don't have issues.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    I've been using 28 gauge wire for a while now, and I don't have issues.
    Even for wiring up the power supply (3A+ load)?

The packs in the store don't generally put out that much. Also, the JST wired connectors are NOT 28 gauge. Also, no one is stopping anyone from experimenting for themselves.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    You are "overthinking" things. That chart was written assuming that you are using "Alternating Current", which you are NOT. And it also is assuming that you are using 1000 Ft of wiring in between terminal points (Ohms per 1000 Ft.). That chart is meant for commercial power electricity transmission (as used by an Electric Utility Company).

You are using Direct Current (a battery), and (I hope) a lot less than 1000 ft of wire within a saber. Also, if you read the fine print, those are conservative numbers, meant for circuit design only.
    LOL 1000 feet in a saber! Thanks for pointing me to the fine print. I do feel I could be overthinking it too.

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    Even for wiring up the power supply (3A+ load)?
    That's why I asked. Im gonna want 3A for my saber too. I don't want the wires to limit any power to the LED.