Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LED string evolution - this will change the way we think about LED strings!

Default LED string evolution - this will change the way we think about LED strings!

Hi guys,

I want to share a new and exciting LED string technology emerging. It has the potential IMHO to change the way we think about LED strings.

Who did not dream about building one day an LED string saber with the possibility for color change? Moreover, people assembling their LED strings know the pain of suddenly loosing an LED, solder joint coming loose, etc.

This just might be the answer to both of these major wishes. There is a new, prefab LED string on the market called neopixel (type WS2812), you can find a lot of offers on ebay, for instance:
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/251739289830?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Technically speaking these stripes mount LED modules on a flexible PCB, which can be cut at any LED position. The LED modules integrate:
    - 3 colour, RGB LEDs in one package
    - together with a tiny controller IC already integrated into the package of the LEDs

The controller can be programmed with a 1-line serial interface. It has for each of the colours an 8-bit PWM (pulse width modulation), summing up to 24-bit/LED module. The serial interface runs through the whole stripe, i.e. the aggregate of all LED modules act like a giant shift register, which can be programmed in one go.
    To program it, you need only therefore 3 wires:
    Wire#1: VDD supply (rated at 5V, but I tried, it's crazy, but it works down to 1.8V! 3.7V is ideally suited to supply the stripe!!!)
    Wire#2: 1-line serial signal to program the stripe
    Wire#3: GND

That's all!

The programming of the stripe can be done so fast, that you will not notice, so features like flicker, FoC etc. can be implemented very easily. Since ALL LEDs can be programmed individually (yeah, no joking), and the LED stripe can be cut at any joint, it would be ideally suited for Kylo Ren type crossguard sabers. You just make a stripe for the main blade, then 2 sub-stripes for either half of the cross guard, and connect the 3 stripes in series, programming them all together.

As to stability: they are mounted on a PCB, the backside of the stripes have a string 3M adhesive tape, for a blade you can simply glue 2 stripes together back-to-back, wrapped in a diffusing foil it will allow you to duel with it in my assessment. Looks very solid.

I made a video showing how it can be used for lightsaber blade.
    (Disclaimer: sorry for my bad spoken English, just ignore my ranting and enjoy the light show)
    https://youtu.be/lyk8riXgIzM

If you like Bruce Springsteen, you can also chill out at the end of the video with one of his hits

I've seen these before, but for some reason I had never even thought of using them in a string blade. They seem perfect!

That's a nice light show you've got there. The flexible PCB could improve durability for high-impact applications (like lightsaber blades). It would certainly save some time over building your own LED strip.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

They can be individually programmed? I detect scrolling effect possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    They can be individually programmed? I detect scrolling effect possibilities!
    Lol, check out the video. Doesn't take long to detect scrolling effects XD

Quote Originally Posted by NanoRex View Post
    Lol, check out the video. Doesn't take long to detect scrolling effects XD

I gotta get me one of those

so when i was researching what type of lighting solution i wanted, tried el wire lights, then some 5250 (?) led, the problem i kept running into is that because these strips project outwards it creates a lot of uniformity issues, also despite pushing 9 volts to the ones i was using they were significantly dimmer then what i use now in my strings. i would even make like 5 strings and get near perfect in the spacing between spacing for the next strip to compensate but still very noticeable uniformity issues, which was my whole reason for not using in hilt led systems anyway. good luck, would be interested to see how these turn out if you get a working model.

edit: missed the video you posted when i first read through your post, looks cool but i can still see the dim spots between modules even on camera where due to how cameras bloom everything to a huge degree it makes it hard to see such inconsistencies.
    Last edited by Tyrant; 03-03-2016 at 08:33 PM.

very nice! i see a ton of possibility's

Force Aware
    Blog Entries

That is pretty rad. It would be interesting to combine this with impact sensors at intervals along the blade and then do the flash on clash at the point of impact rather than the whole blade