Thread: which vinyl cutter do you use?

Default which vinyl cutter do you use?

hey guys and gals! I would like to get into saltwater etching and am having trouble finding this topic in the search. Are any of you cutting your own vinyl for etching? what machine do you have? I was looking at the desktop cricut stencil cutters but wanted some opinions before I bought anything. thanks for any input you may have. not looking to break the bank, would like to stay within $200 if possible.

voodoo

I used a Cricut Explore Air. The software allows you to use images and fonts from your computer, which is good. It's also web based, so there's some risk that the company may go another direction some day and we'll be stuck with a useless hunk of plastic.

thanks rlobrecht! I will definitely add it to the list and check it out. looks like it worked well for you, I saw some of your etching!

I work for a commercial printer, and have access to a 54in Graphtec FC8600 for all my vinyl cutting needs

I've been considering a Silhouette Portrait, anyone have experience with one?

So I have no clue about etching and wouldn't no where to start, but my wife has a Silhouette and it's effing amazing!! It cuts crazy detailed designs. I've made myself 3 shirts with it using heat transfer vinyl. So if you're looking for something that cuts vinyl the silhouette will do the trick. Might need to look into etching since my wife has this. I just like making star wars shirts and stickers with it.