Thread: Hey guys, I need some help with specific electronic questions for a Best Man Gift

Question Hey guys, I need some help with specific electronic questions for a Best Man Gift

hey everyone, so long story short I've been wanting to build my own lightsabers for a long time now, and now that my skills in wood working have become good enough I want to start to delve into this hobby. My intention is to build 3 lightsabers; Ahsoka Tano "Rebels" Sabers for myself and a Gungi Lightsaber to give my best friend as a best man request/gift. I've pasted a copy of the list of electronics for the three below. The biggest frustration I have is my lack of electrical knowledge which I've been trying hard to get better at through weeks of research.

So I really have three main questions, do the numbers look good in terms of Voltage/mAH? Do I have the correct amount of batteries per saber (4 Packs, 1Cell for Ahsoka) (3 Packs, 2 Cells Gungi) ? And my last question is how do I wire the extra batteries to power the Tri Rebel LEDs but not blowout the Nano BV3? I really appreciate any suggestions if anyone takes the time. Thanks guys!

3.4 to 5.5v (max) / 2A Nano Biscotte V3 (Qty 3), 28mm Speaker (qty 3), Battery for Board LI battery 3.7V 3400 mAH PCB Panasonic Li-Ion 18650 (qty 3), SPST Momentary Tactile Switch (qty 3), 2.1mm Power Jack (qty3)

Two Light Sabers- Ahsoka katana/shoto- Batteries for LEDs: (qty4) 7.4V LI-Ion 2600mAh 18650 Pack,(qty2) buckpuck 700 Max input 34V Min 5V

Cool white: Max Forward V9.75, Typical 8.7V, Max Drive 1000mA, Recommended 700mA
    Blue: Max Forward V10.53 (FoC), Typical 8.5V, Max drive 1000MA, Recommended 700mA
    26.4V Total Needed for LEDs?

One Light Saber- Gungi Purple- Batteries for LEDs: (qty 3) 7.4V Li-Ion 2600mAH 18650 Pack, (qty1) 3.7V 3400 mAH Panasonic 18650, (qty1) Buckpuck 700 Max input 34V Min 5V
    Deep Red: Max Forward V8.4 Typical 6.3V Max Drive 700mA Recommended 700mA
    Royal Blue: Max Forward V10.5 Typical 8.7 V Max Drive 1000mA Recommended 700mA
    Cool white: Max Forward V9.75 (FoC) Typical 8.7V Max Drive 1000mA Recommended 700mA
    24.1V Total Needed for LEDs ?
    Last edited by duckhunt; 02-29-2016 at 10:57 AM.

The LEDs you have listed appear to have the LED dice wired in series. You want individually addressable dice so you can wire them in parallel.

In series, you add voltages together, but current remains the same. Multiple LED dice will quickly get you WAY over the allowable voltage for a NB.

In parallel, you add current together, but voltage remains the same. This is how we run multiple LED dice with the NB. Take a look at the wiring diagrams in the NB manual and you will see how it's done.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I find your information very confusing. It would be much easier to understand if you had a section for each saber explaining which parts you would use for each.

I'm also pretty sure that you are getting some concepts mixed up. Like SS mentioned, it will really help to read over and look at the diagrams in the NB manual, and you can check out the TCSS videos for some helpful tutorials.

Good luck!

Thanks for taking the time out to read over my info. True to form of frustration, I realized what I screwed up in the numbers the real Vf for the W/W/B Ahsoka Sabers is 11.6Vf and RoyalB/DeepR/W Gungi saber is 7.9Vf. So I can figure out the obvious that the number of batteries is waaaay too high, my apologies for screwing that one up. but the Dice have the ability to be wired in parallel. I've checked out that manual and its pretty helpful, and based off of that in addition to another source, is it truly not recommended to use a buck puck? Also would (1) 18650 be enough power these types of LEDs?

aaaanndddd now the quick parallel to series lesson just clicked in.. thanks SS !

You are correct. You do not use BuckPucks with the Nano Biscotte. The NB has an *upper* voltage limit of 5.5v, while the pucks have a *lower* voltage limit of 5v. There are no batteries I've ever seen that would be capable of staying in that sweet spot for long.

NB builds use resistors. There's a stickied post around here that tells you how to calculate your resistor values. It's pretty simple once you've done it a time or two.

A single 18650 is ideal for powering NB sabers with Tri-Rebel or Tri-Cree LEDs.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Awesome thanks SS for the assist! I think I just made it more complicated in my head than it really was.