Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unreasonable Doubt Build Thread

Default Unreasonable Doubt Build Thread

So after many, many, many months of planning this saber out (since August of 2015 in fact) I am finally confident enough in my design and my plans to finally build this saber.

Unreasonable Doubt will feature a PRIZM Soundboard, RGB LED, and a crystal chamber, all of which will be powered by a 18650 pack. I've designed this saber for light dueling and as a show piece.

The lower segment of the hilt will be wrapped in leather, and I will have to make custom cut out for the crystal chamber (hopefully my dremel-fu isn't too rusty). I am also going to be trying some salt water etching for this saber. I designed it so that I can completely remove the body and leave the chassis still functioning, although I'd be unable to put in a blade since the blade holder wont actually be there...obviously. The chassis itself will (hopefully) be 3D printed, or made of PVC.

I ordered my first shipment of parts (small stuff really, nothing I can really build with yet) yesterday and am back to saving a bit more money for the next shipment.

The reasoning behind its name is the fact that this is going to be my first major build, and I'm a little nervous about it. My biggest worry is accidentally shorting the board so if someone can help ease my worries about that I'd be grateful.

Here is an image of the design.
    Scan 1.jpg
    Last edited by TheSilverDark; 03-02-2016 at 06:08 PM.
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Blog Entries

Looks like a good start. Interested to see how it comes along. Good luck.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

The pic is pretty washed out. Think you can post another one?

Haha! Got my scanner working, updated!
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.

Much better, thanks!

You only need to worry about shorting your board if you don't wire it correctly. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine. Feel better?

Well my concern is static discharge screwing with it.

So I started printing out the upper half of my chassis. Its made of PLA with a 1/8" wall.

image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpg

Welp, got my first order of parts in, which was mostly LED parts and a few other miscs for the chassis and body. Sadly, I realized that the upper segment of the chassis didn't leave enough room for the switches, so I'll have to move them up and down a little and then reprint.

If reprinting do you have enough Z height to print it vertical? Print time will be significant but it might give better surface quality if the printer can handle it.

Not sure to be honest. Its my robotics team's printer. I dont think so though. The reason for reprinting, other than dimensions, the entire piece actually shifted forward about a quarter of the way up.