Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Unreasonable Doubt Build Thread

Alright, I now have the sleeve material and 6 inch extension. Externally I just need some misc screws, the pommel insert and bladeholder. After that I can pick up all my electronics and print out the chassis. Progress!

image.jpg
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Alright so I thought I'd do a quick update now since I have time.

I have almost all of the parts I need externally, excluding the 3in extension, misc screws, and a pommel insert. I have decided to look for exterior option for the pommel insert if new ones don't come in stock. I'm thinking of using some parts from an old computer and modify it to fit, but if anyone has some suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em.

In terms of electronics I will purchase them when I get back on the mainland. I decided to go with a Spark Color 2 instead of a PRIZM (Sorry Erv and Tim).

My chassis is fully CADed and ready for printing through Shapeways!

I bought some new crystals, an Amythest and some Smoky Quartz. The Amythest will be the "power crystal", being 3 small point and lit by a white LED, which will always be on or pulsing. The Quartz will be the focusing crystal and match the blade color via an RGB LED. I may need to modify my crystal chamber design but oh well.

I found what leather I will use and am really excited to slap it on my hilt.

Finally I found an awesome dude who is willing to help me design and then etch a segment of my shroud. Currently, there will be a band above the crystal chamber with Aurbesh writing that will read "A Light In The Dark".

So that's my update for y'all! I am hoping to have this whole build done before Halloween as it will pair with my custom Sith cosplay, Lord Malyce.
    Last edited by TheSilverDark; 07-11-2016 at 05:12 PM.
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.

So I'm finally back home and have most of the parts I need to start making my saber! The only remaining parts I need are the 5mm LEDs for the crystal chamber, a single cell li-ion battery and my chassis parts.

In the meantime I've started on the externals of the build. Underneath the body in the below image is leather, which I will use for the wrap. Its much thinner than I had thought it would be, but should still serve it's purpose.
    IMG_9663.jpg

For now I've begun work on the shroud, since I want to drill the slots and holes at my schools machine shop. Below are the various stages of work, from the template, to completion.
    IMG_9664.jpgIMG_9669.jpgIMG_9670.jpg

The two pieces will eventually slide together in the finished product.

I will be sending the shroud and one other piece to a friend to be acid etched as well, so i am excited to see how that will turn out.

Stay tuned folks.

This is my final update for this build log as I have finally completed the saber!

I wrapped up the body over the weekend with a leather wrap (pun intended). I used a standard tennis grip wrap and adhered the leather to the body with contact cement.
    image2.jpg

Following that I wired the electronics and installed them into the chassis and then the chassis into the body. I did make a couple n00b errors as I was wiring. For one I wired the LED unit backwards...but in the end the whole of the saber worked well and came out quite nicely, especially for one done entirely by freehand (at least in my opinion).

Link to gallery and glam pics: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...360#post262360
    Last edited by TheSilverDark; 09-27-2016 at 10:12 PM.