Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Non-pc- paint- mods

It adheres better to aluminum. Regular primer is fine for most surfaces, but aluminum forms a layer of aluminum oxide that doesn't bond as well with paint. The self-etching primer attacks that layer and permits better bonding.

In all honesty, primer *can* be skipped, but it'll affect how fast the paint wears off.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by bunger View Post
    What's the advantage of a self-etching primer over "regular" primer?
    It creates micro abrasions for better adhesion. MHS parts are generally so well polished that paint doesn't stick to it very well.

I think any primer made for metals will do fine. The reason I use the Duplicolor is that it's clear.
    If you were to paint a fairly thick coat of say gray primer, you might see the edge of the gray when you unmask it, even if there's another paint over it.

I hadn't thought of clear primer before, but you make a good case for it.

Thanks for the tips, Darkmatter!

I believe I have found your tape: 3M Scotch 218 Fine Line tape.
    Last edited by Kreyhn; 03-21-2016 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyhn View Post
    Thanks for the tips, Darkmatter!

I believe I have found your tape: 3M Scotch 218 Fine Line tape.
    Probably, I used to use that for laying out graphics before airbrushing on cars, motorcycles, and race helmets.

Yep that's it, fine line is great for paint masking. Good luck on your paint job, post pics!!
    -Darkmatter73