Thread: NBv2 Problem?

Question NBv2 Problem?

When the lightsaber is off, if a put my ear next to the speaker, I can hear a very soft static noise.

It disappears when I insert the kill plug in the recharge port.

I've build many lightsabers in the past. This is my first time with a NBv2 though.

Other than this, everything seems to work fine.

AjnKbfMipH1M4oheYTd61j6boP2jHWBkeEvossAbpXoV.jpg

AlxJqM-60H_vU9HiTQ7MTd1qtv3_6BW5OiTq789q5_aO.jpg
    Last edited by sfer1; 02-28-2016 at 08:18 AM.
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who i am not."

Sounds like you have a short somewhere, allowing current to flow to the speaker. Does this happen when the electronics are outside the hilt? Or only when the saber is assembled?
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I first noticed it when the lightsaber was already assembled. Doesn't mean it wasn't there before. I don't see how it could have happened though. Nothing on the board it bridged. Everything is heatshrinked and inside an electronics shield for 1.25" ID tubes. And I was very carefull when I assembled the lightsaber.

The only thing I can think of is I used 3M heavy duty double sided tape to tape the board to the electronics shield. Isn't it dielectric?

Last edited by sfer1; 02-28-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Update: It wasn't the tape. I removed the tape, but I can still hear the static noise.

The noise disappeared when I removed the MicroSD card, but reappered when I put it back in.

BTW, I just noticed that another one of my lightsabers (PC 1.5 board) does exactly the same noise when it's off. I seriously doubt I could have a short in that one too.

Both sabers have a Premium 28mm Speaker.

It's a very soft noise, similar to the one a cellphone charger does.
    Last edited by sfer1; 02-28-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Update #2:

Remove kill plug -> booting sound -> I hear the static noise

Turn the lightsaber on -> turn it off -> Leave it off for a while (without the kill plug inserted) -> I don't hear the noise

My guess is this noise is normal when the board hasn't fully shut down.

How susceptible are you to hearing the electrical hum of wall wort (cell style) chargers, or even some lights? There is a small percentage of the population (myself included) who are very oversensitive to the pitch of certain electrical hums...even ones most people can't even detect.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    How susceptible are you to hearing the electrical hum of wall wort (cell style) chargers, or even some lights? There is a small percentage of the population (myself included) who are very oversensitive to the pitch of certain electrical hums...even ones most people can't even detect.
    I distinctly hear the electrical hum of wall wart chargers, but I always assumed everyone did.
    Last edited by sfer1; 02-29-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Uhh, that's a negative. Wall chargers are dead silent for me. In my younger days I could occasionally hear fluorescent light fixtures, but they've all gone silent now.

You appear to have super-hearing. Enjoy it while it lasts, keep the volume on your headphones down, and avoid jobs that lead to hearing loss.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!