Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Acid Etching Help - Save My Threads

Default Acid Etching Help - Save My Threads

So I've got a number of projects going that require acid etching. I've been practicing and feel pretty good about everything but protecting the threads on my TCSS parts. I've tried shipping tape & nail polish. I haven't been able to find plastic end caps or better yet a plastic MDS piece that would screw into my aluminum piece to seal the threads from the inside.

Any suggestions or hints would be most welcome.

Thanks so much & MTFBWY

What about plastic tool dip, the spray plastidip or what ever it is called can be used on automobiles and motorcycles and then pealed off when you want to sell. I have never done it, but I have pealed it off some ATVs I have owned, came off easy and clean.

FenixFire, you are awesome! I just looked up "plastic tool dip," and it looks perfect. I'll be running to Home Depot to pick some up and try it. I'll post my test results.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Blog Entries

#7 rubber bottle stoppers. Vinyl Electrical tape. Locktite putty. If you go with rubber stoppers try to get the ones without the hole. If not just plug the hole with something.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Thanks darth_chasm! #7 bottle stoppers ordered. I'll be doing all of the above to the parts/threads. After all it would be bad karma to disrespect Tim's beautiful made parts.

I use cut vinyl for my etch patterns and i also use it to wrap my pieces so nothing leaks inside.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    #7 rubber bottle stoppers. Vinyl Electrical tape. Locktite putty. If you go with rubber stoppers try to get the ones without the hole. If not just plug the hole with something.
    Darth, would a hard paraffin wax work to plug small screw holes? Just though of it, because I use it to block off smaller holes in in the actions of rifles when I am glass bedding them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Darth, would a hard paraffin wax work to plug small screw holes? Just though of it, because I use it to block off smaller holes in in the actions of rifles when I am glass bedding them.
    I suppose. Haven't tried that. You could use small powder coating plugs for that I would imagine. They're small and tapered.

For safety sake I should say that the suggestions I've given are ok for salt water etching. Please, please make sure they are safe for acid before doing anything.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

For safety sake I should say that the suggestions I've given are ok for salt water etching. Please, please make sure they are safe for acid before doing anything.[/QUOTE]

Duly noted. Thanks again for all the tips. I will be testing all these tricks before using them with ferric chloride to make sure they work.

I use electrical insulation tape which is great for saltwater but acid etching may yield different results.