Thread: parts seized up

Default parts seized up

Some of you guys probably guessed what's going on by the title. It had been awhile since I last charged my saber and because of that I hadn't opened the hilt up in awhile. This also means I haven't been able to keep fresh grease in the threads. now my question, does anyone have solutions to un-seize parts like this? The 2 parts that are seized are a 3' double fluted female piece. The other is a ribbed grooved/choke combo piece. I'm sure you fine folks can guess where they're seized at XD. If anyone has any possible solutions it would be greatly appreciated.
    Dark Siders beware my golden blades.

Gold 2 standing by.

i believe theres a thread for this. but basically, copious amounts of wd40 even maybe fully submerged. put in freezer for an hour or two, strap wrenches.. try warming just the female end a bit as you wrench.

Ill add: this has happened to me twice. on one hilt the above worked. on the other there was just no seperating them.. i think i may have forced that one too early and made it worse. i was able to rescue the hilt by modifying the switch mounting and chassis deaign a bit.
    Last edited by atomsk; 02-24-2016 at 12:05 AM.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...lt-MHS-threads

atomsk's suggestions are a good place to start. Penetrating oil and/or the freezer method will typically do the trick.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll try them out and if for whatever reason they're still giving me grief I'll give you guys a shout.

Gold 2 standing by.

Try putting them in the freezer. The very carefully unscrew them.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Using a fine oil and getting it to seep down into the threads I have only ever had a couple of parts I could not get apart.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Been a bit since I had a chance to post but I tried the freezer trick and that did it. They came loose after a minute or 2 of working with them. Thankfully the threads are just fine and aren't damaged. There was some gook that had gotten into the grease the last time I had the saber opened up that apparently made the grease all pastey. That combined with the long while since I last charged the battery and just yuck. Thankfully just a quick cleaning and a bit of fresh grease and the saber will be good to go once again. I will have to remember the freezer and oil tricks should they ever be needed again. Thanks for all the help folks.

Gold 2 standing by.

Quote Originally Posted by goldsaberwarrior View Post
    Been a bit since I had a chance to post but I tried the freezer trick and that did it. They came loose after a minute or 2 of working with them. Thankfully the threads are just fine and aren't damaged. There was some gook that had gotten into the grease the last time I had the saber opened up that apparently made the grease all pastey. That combined with the long while since I last charged the battery and just yuck. Thankfully just a quick cleaning and a bit of fresh grease and the saber will be good to go once again. I will have to remember the freezer and oil tricks should they ever be needed again. Thanks for all the help folks.
    Yes the freezer is your friend...it keeps steaks and helps to fix locked up threads Glad you got your issue fixed.

nice! glad youre back in business.

I swear I though the post title said "pants seized up", hahahahaha.