Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First String Blade Build Log

Es tut mir leid. I just noticed you're in Germany, so names for things are probably a little different.

I got some low gage copper wire the other day and tried using that as reinforcement. So far so good.

20160227_095302.jpg

Now I have to get different foam wrap, because the stuff I got is too thick. I'm trying to get stuff that's 1/32" thick, but it's turning out to be a little bit of a challenge. I don't need 1,000 feet of it.

what i did:

-make led string
    -wire thin copper through the ladder (up and down), solder every 3-5 led
    -get 1 long heatshrink for the whole strip (trust me, it?s super good and also diffuses light a little bit!)
    -get 1mm packing foam (yes, i got like 50m^2 for 25€.. whatever i`ll make plenty) and wrap it around the string

Works perfectly for me. It even withstands some light dueling (didn`t try harder)
    also: i noticed your string still contains the (great english strikes again) "overlapping led leads" - you need to trimm them down when soldered because it will create shadows

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    Es tut mir leid. I just noticed you're in Germany, so names for things are probably a little different.

I got some low gage copper wire the other day and tried using that as reinforcement. So far so good.

20160227_095302.jpg

Now I have to get different foam wrap, because the stuff I got is too thick. I'm trying to get stuff that's 1/32" thick, but it's turning out to be a little bit of a challenge. I don't need 1,000 feet of it.
    i use 1/16 foam in mine, and dont seem to have issues, what issues are you running into where you need that thin of foam?

It wants to unroll, so I need at least a second pair of hands to help with the rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesibe1 View Post
    Here is a link to only 100 ft of 1/32 foam

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1-32-Micro-Foa...264?nav=SEARCH
    DONE! If you're ever in San Diego, I'm buying you a microbrew beer.

I have just finished my first string blade and I didn?t experience that problem. I saw a recommendation from Ken Hampton that when you attach each LED it is very important to press the joint firmly. He explained that without this step you run the risk to use too much solder which causes shadows on the blade. I followed that recommendation and my string was quite ?stiff? even before soldering. Hence, it is more the legs of the LEDs that holds the string together, rather than solder. Of course I cannot know if this is the reason for your problems, but it could be. My recommendation is that before soldering; make sure that the LEDs are not dancing around.

I saw that video too. I did give each pseudo hinge a good squeeze. Although I did also add solder to the joint as well. Probably shouldn't have done that.

Well, I also added solder to each joint of the LEDs and that’s how it is explained in the tutorials. I guess the problem must be somewhere else. Just to clarify, it is the solder that loosens, or is it the leg of the LEDs that break?