Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blade into holders

Default Blade into holders

Lets say I have a 1 Inch OD Polycarbonate Blade and I want to place it into a home made holder. How deep does the blade have to be in order to

A: It will be snug and secure
    B: It will not stress the blade out during dueling and break off from the emitter

In other words how much of the blade has to be in the home made emitter (that is of two pieces put together but the main tube is approximately 2 inches long and has a 1 inch inner diameter, the last part is estimated cause it can hold the 1 inch OD Polycarbonate Tube without a problem) for it not say...break off during a duel or sparring?

Blog Entries

Hard to really say what is safe with DIY stuff. I can say that MHS blade holders generally take in around 2" of blade.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Hello there. Welcome to the forums. TCSS blade holders have a depth of 2 inches, you should be ok with the same.

So the General Consensus is that 2 Inches of blade inside the emitter will make it safe for it to be used in duels? if so excellent and I shall double my efforts to make needed mods Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Hard to really say what is safe with DIY stuff. I can say that MHS blade holders generally take in around 2" of blade.
    . Is that 2" in addition to the .8" taken up by the led holder, or including? Starting my second holder tonight, so timely question.

Blog Entries

Blade holder 3 is 1.815-ish from end to lip. About the same for BH 1
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 02-20-2016 at 12:51 PM.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

So to be clear one more time before I start final construction. 2 inches inside the blade holder will make it safe to use as say a dueling saber? Is that correct?

I concur with most of the comments: 2" deep, 1"ID Blade Holder works great. Very durable. I've found the BRTS is best placed about half way in.

I do, however, have a 1" deep blade holder on my current "Test" saber. For the sake of testing, I tried some heavy blows on some lawn furniture pillows (No holding back).. Blade stayed secure. But again, this is my first test saber, made from aluminum pipes.

So, that being said, I'd say stick with a blade holder that keeps 1.5"-2" of the blade inside it. It should make it quite safe for dueling. What kind of dueling are you guys doing? All out in armor, or just some spirited dueling?

EDIT: 2" in the holder, not including the space for the LED heatsink. I use 1" OD 1.25" long LED heatsinks. I always have to factor that in.

EDIT: What material did you use for your DIY hilt? Thick-walled or thin-walled blade? How long is the blade?
    Last edited by Jay-mo; 02-22-2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Few more safety questions

Most of the material is out of PVC Piping that is about say...1 3/4 inch Outer Diameter with 1 Inch Inner Diameter. My Blade is the 1 Inch Outer Diameter Thick Walled Polycarbonate blade that is 40 Inches long

and basically it looks like Obi Wan's Lightsaber...ish...

And it has electronics in it and I'm hoping to make it so that it could stand up to some heavy punishment even though it is unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by Kenico View Post
    Most of the material is out of PVC Piping that is about say...1 3/4 inch Outer Diameter with 1 Inch Inner Diameter. My Blade is the 1 Inch Outer Diameter Thick Walled Polycarbonate blade that is 40 Inches long

and basically it looks like Obi Wan's Lightsaber...ish...

And it has electronics in it and I'm hoping to make it so that it could stand up to some heavy punishment even though it is unlikely
    Unfortunately, your hilt will break before that blade ever will in an all out duel. My friend and I gave this a test after it was pointed out to me, in an all-out sparring match. I volunteered to use the PVC, he used my aluminum hilt. Then we swapped hilts for a bit, and eventually agreed that the PVC was "Creaking" and that no one really felt comfortable using it with the thick-walled blades. I don't have any thin-walled blades to test it with, unfortunately.

Now, if your working with PVC and want to keep PVC hilts as your main hilt (Lets face it, you really can make some sick hilts with PVC!), try a thin-walled blade. If you want to have a durable, near-indestructible (Minus hilt innards) Saber, metal is the way to go for hardcore dueling. I wouldn't even say I duel "Hardcore" but our test was at full-strength with a little choreographing. Our blades were each 34" long, thick walled.

I love PVC hilts, they can really be something special and its such a fun medium to work with. But.. The thick walled blades are my only concern, like you have said. Perhaps check out some of that black furniture-grade PVC? I also hear epvc will hold up better, but have yet to try that.
    Last edited by Jay-mo; 02-24-2016 at 12:26 PM.