Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Blade into holders

I know a metal hilt would do the trick but the thing is its expensive as heck and I dont have the right tools to mold metal the way I want it. If I could I would if I had the tools and dough but for now PVC is all I can do. As for Furniture Grade and EPVC? what is that and links if you can help me. and more importantly I'm working on using polycarbonate glues and screws to further reinforce the hilt. So far all I hear is a slight creaking but its holding well. hopefully it wont break under pressure

Though if any of you have some better material suggestions other than metal to make a sort of Ben Skywalker style saber i'm all ears! ^^

EDIT @: Best bet would be a thin-walled blade, in that case. They are still very strong and even glow brighter. I also hear that thick-walled is only for people who REALLY go all out in duels (So, my younger brother and I in that case). Thin-walled blades are tough as nails too.

EPVC is a grey pvc, its electrical pvc. Its tougher, most hardware stores will sell it in 10' sections (You can also buy a nice 45 degree elbow for a curved hilt), and the furniture grade pvc is black pvc that you would probably need to call around for or order online. If i am right, both are stronger than typical white pvc and should be able to stand up to a thick walled blade.

If your just doing occasional, lighter dueling your probably okay with the blade in all honesty.

Now, as for glue, I like the clear jb-weld myself. I've had that on my blade tips- that stuff is tough. Screw wise, stainless steel screws are nice and easy to cut to size if your wire cutters have a screw cutter on them. Hex-screws also look cool and never strip like normal screws. Brass is also an option. Also, a tap+die set is helpful! I like the 8-32 screws. Small, but if you mess up a thread, just go a size up.

Other material suggestions would either buy aluminum pipes (I get mine from a local shop @ $2.50/ft), or the classic sink-tube saber. I literally use a rotary tool, file set, hacksaw, drill, die+tap set for mine, no drill press. Aluminum supplier was happy to help with a few cuts once i showed them a few pictures of what i had been making- the tricky part for that was finding a plug/cap.

Hope i was of some help!

EDIT: I think i may have to get a picture of that aluminum saber on here soon..
    Last edited by Jay-mo; 02-26-2016 at 11:16 AM.