Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best soldering gun

ok so I've got a brass sponge- the Aoyue 937+ Digital Soldering Station (figured mid range would be more then enough)- and some Miniatronics Corp 1064004 Rosin Core Solder 60/40 4oz- looks like its .03mm (is that an appropriate size?) Some "helping hands- and magnifier" in my cart. Do i need any smaller- speciality tips for the soldering iron- for the tiny tiny boards that I'm going to be working with?

That sounds like an excellent setup. Tiny tips are nice, but a steady hand and ordinary fine tips do the job as well.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Very nice! You got everything u need to go, but hey if youre gonna kit it all out, you might also want to pick these up at some point:
    long fine point cone tip
    desoldering braid
    wire stripper for smaller guages 26-30awg
    tweezers
    hobby vise
    multimeter
    variety of heatshrink

should have included some of the other things- yeah i have some 2mm desoldering braid- a solder sucker. Already have a multimeter- and some heat shrink- various sizes and some tweezers for electronic gear (ifixit stuff). I have wire strippers- but… didn't know i might need special ones for really small stuff- SUGGESTIONS welcome…. Also- what the heck is a hobby vise? I know what i vise is- and i need to pick one of those up…… but what is a hobby vise- SUGGESTIONS- WELCOME. Also- I was looking on amazon for a long fine cone tip- but was having trouble finding just that….. i was getting a lot of "PACKAGES" with multiple tips (none of which i would ever use). So any suggestions on a tip for that Aoyue are also WELCOME!

if u search on that site for hobby vise you'll probably see a cheap baby blue one. thats the same i use, its just a small plastic vise, i use it to hold small pcbs. the alligator clips on helping hands can damage them. A T-LB or T-S8 tip will work with your iron, both are sold individually on there as well. I use the red hakko 20-30 stripper.

Anyone have a recommendation for soldering wire? Can't find anything on the forum about solder wire.

Might want to read through the thread you just posted in. Several suggestions for 60/40 solder.

Or there's this other thread that was posted earlier today: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ed-solder-wire
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

This is my simple set up. It's a Weller cordless. I went cordless because I had a plug-in Weller and I accidentally left it on over the weekend. When I got back, it was fried. The battery keeps it from getting damaged if/when I forget to turn it off. I have a big stash of rechargeable AA batteries, and it's nice to not constantly have to deal with a cord always in the way or gently tugging on the back of the iron. It's got a little LED on the front to spotlight what I'm soldering. It's also got 2 settings. I think the lower one is ~750 degrees, and the higher one is ~950 degrees. It's gets up to temp in 20-30 seconds.

I also use a brass mesh instead of a wet sponge. I find it works better, and the sponge cools down the iron a little, which means I then have to wait for it to heat back up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    I use 60/40 leaded solder. It flows much easier than the lead-free stuff. Get a thin gauge solder designed for electrical work. Rosin core is good.
    I also prefer 60/40, though I have to say that I almost neurotically wash my hands after every time I touch the stuff, because part of me is worried that I'll eventually get lead poisoning and go crazy like Isaac Newton. Of course, he was also playing with mercury a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    That sounds like an excellent setup. Tiny tips are nice, but a steady hand and ordinary fine tips do the job as well.
    Agreed. In fact, I used to use a FAT tip with my old Weller (that I fried from leaving plugged in over the weekend). It was a little clumsy, but not nearly as clumsy as one might think. I was still able to do some pretty small and delicate stuff with it.

Quote Originally Posted by atomsk View Post
    Very nice! You got everything u need to go, but hey if youre gonna kit it all out, you might also want to pick these up at some point:
    long fine point cone tip
    desoldering braid
    wire stripper for smaller guages 26-30awg
    tweezers
    hobby vise
    multimeter
    variety of heatshrink
    Yes, lots of variety of heatshrink! I like to have all of the colors available in at least two different sizes. Enough for one or two wires at a time. I have about four different sizes of black heatshrink.

I picked up a great wire stripper at my local electronics supply shop not too long ago. I used to strip with my wire cutters, but they were pretty clumsy. The stripper I got goes from 30-16 guage. Made my life much easier, especially with really high guage wire.