Thread: led frustrations

Default led frustrations

Where is everybody getting there leds from. I've order from lighthouse leds but the + and - leads are to short the positive lead is only 5/8 of an inch.
    Last edited by mikesibe1; 02-14-2016 at 05:49 PM.

If you mean 5mm LEDs, there are an absolute ton of places you can get them. Local electronic shops, online electronic stores, online LED stores, etc.

The bigger question is how come 5/8" is too short? That should be plenty.

I personally got mine from amazon. Just search microtivity straw hat leds

Local electronics shop, 3mm and 5mm are $0.25, ultra bright $2.00, rgb $2.50, pulsing rgb 3.00. Again why are you needing longer than 5/8 inch leads? I end up cutting mine as short as I can to solder the wire without overheating the diode. The longer the lead the more likely to break when installing into the chassis/saber or what ever. Unless you are making a string blade, but I don't think many are much longer. I have several dozen I can measure when I am in my workshop.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 02-15-2016 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Local electronics shop, 3mm and 5mm are $0.25, ultra bright $2.00, rgb $2.50, pulsing rgb 3.00. Again why are you needing longer than 5/8 inch leads? I end up cutting mine as short as I can to solder the wire without overheating the diode. The longer the lead the more likely to break when installing into the chassis/saber or what ever. Unless you are making a string blade, but I don't think many are much longer. I have several dozen I can measure when I am in my workshop.
    even with strings, you dont need that much, if you are needing that much you are building your "ladder" too wide most likely. I hear good things about light house but their prices are a little high for me at this "experimental" stage of building, i ordered about 6 sets of microtivity straw hats from amazon and the seller C-LED USA, and had a horrible experience with them from a quality control standpoint and then they "lost" my return so I ended up being out almost double my money. I have found a reliable seller on ebay, but wont advertise him here because im not sure if thats frowned upon, shipped from china but color spectrum variances are very minimal. Also after doing this for about a year, I prefer the way flat top leds project in a string, where about 6 months ago i thought straw hats were the best. Im sure its just a preference thing though. good luck

http://i.imgur.com/KmBUGPY.jpg

not my best ones, but a good example of proper spacing, also you gonna want to find something to use for your spacing that you can accurately repeat over and over. mine is that cheap piece of pine wood that i measured and sawed a few lines into.
    Last edited by Tyrant; 02-18-2016 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ooty99 View Post
    I personally got mine from amazon. Just search microtivity straw hat leds
    I just did that and got 100 for $12 and free shipping! They have a viewing radius of nearly 180 degrees, so I bet they do great for blades. Looking forward to their arrival on Monday.

super bright LEDs .com has 360 degree ones with the flat top...I just ordered a 5mm one for my internal chassis...

any progress pics?

Quote Originally Posted by erlomd View Post
    super bright LEDs .com has 360 degree ones with the flat top...I just ordered a 5mm one for my internal chassis...

any progress pics?
    Did you get those LEDs? I'm looking at them too, but I'm curious how well they work first. I just did a string blade with 20mA strawhat LEDs and I'm disappointed with the brightness. I'm interested to hear about your result before deciding to pick up any.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesibe1 View Post
    Where is everybody getting there leds from. I've order from lighthouse leds but the + and - leads are to short the positive lead is only 5/8 of an inch.
    I just purchased some LEDs from LEDs Super Bright.

http://www.ledssuperbright.com/

I picked up some 5mm super bright LEDs, 20000mcd, 180 degrees. They are wicked bright.

http://www.ledssuperbright.com/5mm-l...0000-mcd-p-193

Downside is they are 24ma, which is a little more draw than the usual 20ma I see people use. I plan to use a colored blade for these, probably red, as I can't find a 1" thick purple polycarbonate tube.

Here is an example of 3 segments, just the raw LEDs (no diffuser or wrapping)...

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Av05z5nlriVHheJ9r7pzW7TIN2CMwg

2 segments, lights on

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Av05z5nlriVHheJ8co6g64yLftayog

These are wired in a class 2 series. There will be 6 segments connected to a Crystal Focus LS 6.5 sound board.