Thread: Tri Cree XP-E2 powering questions

Default Tri Cree XP-E2 powering questions

Hi everyone I am currently building my first lightsaber, but I have encountered and issue, I want to use a Tri-Cree XP-E2 all blue to light up my blade, and I am ordering a kit from this page: http://www.ledsupply.com/led-kits/dynamic-led-light-kit, the thing is I don?t know how they wire the LEDs inside the kit, if they are in parallel or in series, or if they are the brighter; the real issue (to me) is to order the righ bukpcuk, to use the right battery power and to choose the brightest ones. (between the XPG2, XPE2, XPTE, Luxeon Rebel) and if I the spot optics are good for the blade (32" by de way).

I want to have good battery life, so I have 4 18650 batteries for the purpose, but considering my issue with the LED module, I don't know how to assemble them to get the most brightness out of them and have a good battery life with more than one cell.

option 1: if the LEDs are in parallel should I use a 2 battery cells in parallel and a 1000mAh buckpuck or a 2100mAh buckpuck
    option 2: if the LEDs are in series should I use 3 battery cells to reach the 12v (minus the 2volts taken by the buckpuck) so all the LEDs are getting the right voltage and with the same 1000mAh buckpuck

the two buckpucks I saw:
    1. The 2100mAh capable: http://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers...-dc-led-driver
    2. The 1000mAh capable: http://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers...dc-led-drivers

By the way, I saw on this post http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=26812.0 that the guy uses a 5v source out of a battery bank, could I use the same source but with two or more 18650 battery cells in parallel to improve the mAh capacity?

I will apreciate any kind of help anyone could provide me to get the brightest and safest configuration whether the LEDs are in parallel or in series.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Alchaggy; 02-14-2016 at 01:20 AM.

The input voltage range of the 2100ma puck is 10v-32v, so it will not work with a 3.7v battery source, and a buckpuck also requires 5v-32v, so it will not work either. As to how the triple led would be wired in that lighting unit, I'm just guessing that you would have to specify that in the order, but those might be wired in series due to the lower current values they are specifying in the listing.

Also, are you aware this forum is part of a store that sells lightsaber parts?

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Thanks Jay-gon Jinn for your reply.

As part of my research about how to build a lightsaber I found the custom saber shop, I started to look for part at my local store because I found a very neat tube sink to use as saber, so I wanted to add the custom saber shop electronic parts. The bad thing is that I dont' have that many time or experience to start soldering everything, so that's why I was looking for "led kits", but I wanted to use a tri-led for better blade illumination, but the customsabershop doesn't offer any "led kit" with tri-led, only with one , that's why I looked elsewhere.

Personally I have never used a buckpuck and because I saw another guy using the 5v output of the battery pack to connect the buckpuck (and loose the 2v on the lux buckpuck) so the LED will always get the 3v, and I could add more batteries in parallel to have more time to wave the sword lit up

I will check with the page (once I order them) if they can wire them in parallel, so I will be able to use the 5v out of the battery pack (with 2 cells at least), to the buckpuck, to the tri-led.

P.S.: definitely the custom saber shop inspire me to build my own lightsaber