Thread: Cram-Fu question

Default Cram-Fu question

I will be starting a pretty tight build soon, and have some safety questions.

Because of the cramped nature of this build I'm having to position the battery (3.7v) led (tri-cree), and resistors very close together. The led and battery are end to end, and the resistors are running along the length of the battery. The hilt interior is somewhat tight at 7/8", so there isn't a lot of breathing room for the resistors.

I'm pretty new at this, and I'm wondering if there are any concerns with having these things so close together. Would the heat from the LEDs or resistors be enough to cause issues with the battery? Are there any protective measures I should take to prevent possible problems?

My gut is telling me things should be okay, but I don't want to risk it. Especially with kids around. Any advice you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!

Board Lurker

try to use higher capacity resisters then needed use a 5w were a 3w is required the resistor may be larger but it will run cooler and any heat will be spread over the larger surface area
    if the hilt is metal or any internal caddy the resistor can be fixed to it to use as a makeshift heat sink( thermal glue best )
    the most heat will come from the led if you have a metal hilt and heat sink and a good tight fit the hilt should handle most of the heat.... but a bit of space is always good
    3.7v ???? 18650 batts can take a fair amount of heat (shorting out or over charging is the main danger) but if the hilt gets hot just think how hot it will be inside

Thanks for the reply!
    I will probably have about a 1/2" between the led housing and battery. The wires are all coming out the center of the module, so it's necessary to have some space.
    I'm thinking of finding some type of thermal insulating fabric to wrap around the battery as a precaution. I would prefer not having to use any glue inside the hilt...don't like the permanence. I'm trying to keep my options open though. We'll see how things develope as it comes together!