Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Physical Weathering

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Agreed! Been here 7 years and I'm thinking its time for some change. Mostly because I want a yard and a garage. Making saber on the floor and coffee table is not fun and kinda hurts haha.
    Doesn't seem to impair your work!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sks1138 View Post
    I did that on a piece on my current build. I etched my design, then covered the piece fully with vinyl, then scraped the vinyl on some bricks and concrete, then another etching. It turned out rather well.
    Willing to share a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Doesn't seem to impair your work!
    Too kind sir.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Nail or BB gun target practice!

BB's or nuts + gallon can + paint shaker.

Willing to share a pic?
    Here's that piece before it's date with the dremel. It was a left over piece from a Graflex-ish control box that Tim used to sell.

weathered piece.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sks1138 View Post
    Here's that piece before it's date with the dremel. It was a left over piece from a Graflex-ish control box that Tim used to sell.

weathered piece.jpg
    Thats what I'm talking about. Thanks for sharing. I think this combined with the other ideas may give me exactly what I'm looking for.

I like the pattern by the way. I may have to steal that idea but with a honeycomb pattern.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Thats what I'm talking about. Thanks for sharing. I think this combined with the other ideas may give me exactly what I'm looking for.

I like the pattern by the way. I may have to steal that idea but with a honeycomb pattern.
    Glad I could help.

Working at a commercial printer I have access to vinyl. I used perforated window vinyl for that. A honeycomb pattern would be cool.

Google pitting texture. Take a negative, print it on transfer paper and just do normal etching technique either with acid or current method. Once complete you can leave it as is, or submerge the entire thing in etching solution to give you a overall patina look. Take some steel wool to it and walla. If you are in an apartment I would not use the acid method.

I'm actually planning on building an oversized rock tumbler for physical weathering at some point down the road. I figure 4 servos, some RC car tires. a 5 gallon bucket for a barrel, an arduino for a controller, and a pound of machine screws for a medium.

Board Lurker

wet sea salt crystals placed on bare alloy leave for a few days in a damp room or damp down now and again with a water spray bottle
    should leave small pits in the alloy . if you do this before spray painting remove the salt crystals after you can get some quite serious looking pitting