Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Physical Weathering

Blog Entries

Default Physical Weathering

Has anyone done or remember seeing any posts about physical weathering? Something more than just aesthetic with paints, patinas, etc. Not interested in "battle damage" but more so marring/pitting.

I was thinking maybe putting the piece in a bag with some nuts and screws and shaking it about for a bit might work. Obviously, protecting the threads and internal surfaces would be done.

Any other ideas or examples?
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

I remember reading about someone who washed whole pieces in etching chemicals which lead to random pitting all over. Your idea is an interesting one.

Burying it in a box full of dirt is another one you could do. Infact, combine that with the method in the first post may give you a good weather effect all around.

A box of copper BB's for an air rifle. Or two. protect your threads. put the mhs in a box pour the BB's in. Seal it up, shake.
    Other wise there is a tut on salt water etching. You could use the same method perhaps for weathering a hilt.

5 gallon bucket with tight fitting lid.
    Handful or two of gravel.
    Lightsaber.

Add the gravel and lightsaber to the bucket. Close the lid. Kick the bucket down a hill. Repeat as necessary.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Starkiller View Post
    Burying it in a box full of dirt is another one you could do. Infact, combine that with the method in the first post may give you a good weather effect all around.
    Closest dirt to me is Central Park, soooo yeah I bet it would do some interesting things though.

Quote Originally Posted by rlobrecht View Post
    I remember reading about someone who washed whole pieces in etching chemicals which lead to random pitting all over. Your idea is an interesting one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noyl Wendor View Post
    A box of copper BB's for an air rifle. Or two. protect your threads. put the mhs in a box pour the BB's in. Seal it up, shake.
    Other wise there is a tut on salt water etching. You could use the same method perhaps for weathering a hilt.
    The etching did come to mind. I was thinking that marring the resist first then submerging could do some cool things. Then maybe do another quick dip with everything exposed (minus threads/insides of course). Kind of like a layering of depths.

The BB's are interesting too.

Keep em coming folks. I think I may have to buy a sacrificial piece to play with.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    5 gallon bucket with tight fitting lid.
    Handful or two of gravel.
    Lightsaber.

Add the gravel and lightsaber to the bucket. Close the lid. Kick the bucket down a hill. Repeat as necessary.
    Thats two for dirt. I may have to take a trip to my brothers...I'm interested to see what the results would be.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but in TFA the Graflex had some subtle dust and dirt in the crevices. I thought it was a beautiful little touch and appreciated the attention to detail.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Closest dirt to me is Central Park, soooo yeah I bet it would do some interesting things though.

That just made me cry a little. Everyone needs dirt and trees to play in, and acres to explore!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    That just made me cry a little. Everyone needs dirt and trees to play in, and acres to explore!
    Agreed! Been here 7 years and I'm thinking its time for some change. Mostly because I want a yard and a garage. Making saber on the floor and coffee table is not fun and kinda hurts haha.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    The etching did come to mind. I was thinking that marring the resist first then submerging could do some cool things. Then maybe do another quick dip with everything exposed (minus threads/insides of course). Kind of like a layering of depths.
    I did that on a piece on my current build. I etched my design, then covered the piece fully with vinyl, then scraped the vinyl on some bricks and concrete, then another etching. It turned out rather well.