Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Next build design/Inventor model (because someone asked)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitjensen View Post
    ok so over a year later. I now have all the parts for this saber (well 99.5%..forgot a kill key, the blade, and usb-RICE cable lol) and wanted to start work on the outside of the hilt and the shroud pattern. which I figured awhile back would most likely require a drill press to make it even on both sides of the shroud work. So this whole summer my project has been to get my late-grandfathers old Shopsmith up and running again (was in our garage for 15yrs..) and finally got that working and tested out drilling a few holes in random bits of aluminum and that works. but now i'm alittle stuck on how to do my planned shroud pattern..
    My plan was to just drill a bunch of holes going down where the channels will be and then sanding/filing away the 'teeth' that is left behind.
    like this:
    Attachment 15793
    (circles being each drilled hole)

I'm just wondering if you experts out there were tasked with doing a shroud like this how would you go about it?
    Either that or a dremel cutting wheel. I cut out some TCSS shroud material extensively on my Mako MHS saber. Went through a lot of cutting wheels. I think drilling them out is a good idea, but you will have a lot of clean up work to do, and it will definitely look hand made. I like that look, but if you expect clean lines, I think you'll be sorely disappointed. As long as you're forgiving of yourself a bit, it'll be just fine.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Drill, dremmel, needle files, sandpaper and patience. You can achieve nice clean lines using all of these.
    That's how I do it

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Drill, dremmel, needle files, sandpaper and patience. You can achieve nice clean lines using all of these.
    That's how I do it
    With an emphasis on patience.

Sorry to sorta necro my own thread here.
    But I finally finished this saber thanks to all of your advice and tips, so thank you so much!
    I did actually end up getting a dremmel for my birthday so that made cutting the shroud 10x easier (once I learned how to use it lol)

link to galley post:
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-second-Saber