Thread: Crystal chamber: parallel or series?

Default Crystal chamber: parallel or series?

I've constructed my first saber with an illuminated crystal chamber, and am having issues with the crystal LEDs. The main LED is an amber luxeon rebel, and the crystal LEDs are from a 3 LED flashlight. After powering it up, the crystal stays illuminated for about a minute, then fades off. Currently, the crystal is wired in parallel. Could this be the cause?
    Protosaber.jpg Protosaber2.jpg

Blog Entries

What are the specs of the flashlight leds? Are they resistored properly? What's your power source? Are you using a sound board?
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Being wired in parallel is probably fine (that's how I do mine) but using a 3 LED flashlight sounds like a lot of lumens! I would guess that it's pulling a lot of juice. Is your blade dimmer when you light it up? Typically a single 5mm LED is used for a crystal chamber. Maybe 2 if you have one on each end. They still need to have resistors added to them to keep from burning up and/or creating funny sound card errors. The dyna-ohm usually gets the job done nicely.

The LED cluster is pre-resistored. My power source is three aaa's, and the blade seems to be running at maximum brightness even after the crystal fades. No soundboard.
    Last edited by Jonlo Garoc; 02-08-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Are they pre-resistored for the 4.5v you're giving them? Do you have a resistor on your main led?

Yes, but the main LED is running without a resistor.

Blog Entries

I start the trouble shooting by adding a resistor to the main led.

That seems worth a shot. Would a 700ma buckpuck be overkill?

Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with using them so I don't really know and have no idea how to integrate the flashlight leds with it.

Buckpucks need a minimum of 5v to operate properly.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say there's something funky going on with the LED board from your flashlight.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!