Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Kreyhn's Asclepius (saber)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    That's one of the downsides to using sinktubes. They will expand if you cut "open-style" shrouds out of them. The TCSS sleeve material doesn't have that behavior.
    SS,

How much will they open? I was going to use them for my newest hilt. I actually need them to open slightly because it has an OD of exactly 1.5". I was initially going to use 1.5". I was going to anneal it, stretch it over the aluminum, then reheat and quench it. But if it naturally opens up I may not have to do that, and might want to go with the 1.25" instead.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 06-03-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Depends on the exact sinktube and the shape you're cutting into it. Some open more than others. I'd say that it's unlikely you'd need to open it further, and you may need to reduce it a bit (design depending).

Sinktube is inexpensive (relatively speaking), so it's a good material to experiment with.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks, really only need it to open up a couple thousands of an inch so great information. I just assumed it was extruded tube like Aluminum, but since it has spring back it must be drawn and soldered.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Thanks, really only need it to open up a couple thousands of an inch so great information. I just assumed it was extruded tube like Aluminum, but since it has spring back it must be drawn and soldered.
    That's my thinking too. Opening up this sink tube made it way too big; I can fit the sleeve material through the snake without issue. It opens far more than a few thousandths of an inch.

The artistic process, as it does, insists on an alteration in the course of this saber. I have actually been working on it for a few years now as a concept, in my free time. I began this project 3 years ago when I first found TCSS, but I was working on a wooden rough draft at the time and decided to leave TCSS where it was for the time being. My original idea was to have what truly appeared to be a snake wrapping the saber. After getting far more into what TCSS had to offer, I thought to switch my idea to the shroud; it would fit nicely and I could make a snake-sequel design from it with this acid etching everyone seems to be into. This course is being abandoned. As much as I enjoy learning Adobe, I am a very tactile person and I don't feel I have the control I want over it. I have the snake's shape ready, but I the have been dreading adding artistic details like scales. Now, I am moving on.

The path I am going to explore now is more complicated, but I have more control over it and it will give me a satisfying look to my saber—the one I'm truly after. Watching other artists like Mynock make armor and helmets, I am going to go with the route of sculpture and cold casting! This project is going to take me much longer now, I think, but it will lead me to a final product I will be truly proud of and pleased with aesthetically. Wish me luck!

P.S. I'll get some photos of the wooden saber I originally had worked on and scrapped when I came back to The Custom Saber Shop (I wasn't ready the first time; it all seemed too over my head).

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Good luck! I look forward to seeing what yuou end up doing; take lots of pictures of your progress!

Hello again! Sorry it's been a while; I've been waiting on parts and working on figuring out my chassis. The snake is a pain in the butt since I have zero sculpting experience, but that is a-ok. It's in its infancy. However, I have made a lot of progress on the chassis! My saber has a thinner ID due to the grenade section, so finding the right chassis parts to allow for a crystal reveal has been tough. I had some incredible 3D printed chassis parts made (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the designer here), and they've allowed me to do what I wished to. Without further ado, some pictures:

Here are the three pieces I began with. I went with purple for the speaker holder because not so many people will see it, and I love royal purple. I thought it would be nifty to have in my saber and a treat for those who will get to see it.

Rather than glue my 4-40 rods into the speaker holder though, I wanted mechanical forces at work! Thus, I dremeled slots in them for 4-40 hex nuts.

(the right-most picture is of a speaker holder designed for the premium speaker, and I did my work on the bass speaker holder, in case you noticed the difference)

Since the underlying plastic was white, I turned it black with a sharpie for better effect.

And here is the half of my chassis that will house the electronics!

Looking good bro. Sculpting is something that isn't just there....it takes practice. Just keep making mock-ups(with clay)till you get the hang of it.

And i like the chassis an speaker holder....they look really cool.