Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another NB 3 Schematic Check

Default Another NB 3 Schematic Check

Hi everybody,

I've read through a bunch of posts, looked over tons of schematics, and I've ordered my parts to do my first saber build. I'm pretty sure I have this right. I just wanted to double check my schematic before I go any further and break something. I'll be using a Green/Green/White Cree Tri-XP-E2 with three 1 ohm 2 watt resistors.

IMG_7475.jpg

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums! Your diagram looks correct.

Yep. You even know enough to draw the diagram with proper electronic symbols. I'd say you've got a good handle on things. If you have any soldering experience at all, you shouldn't run into any trouble.

Do remember to remove the SD card from the board before you start soldering. It's really easy to cook those accidentally.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Yep. You even know enough to draw the diagram with proper electronic symbols. I'd say you've got a good handle on things. If you have any soldering experience at all, you shouldn't run into any trouble.

Do remember to remove the SD card from the board before you start soldering. It's really easy to cook those accidentally.
    Thanks. Yeah, I've done wiring in guitars, but this will be my first time doing anything with a PCB or stuff that's this small. I think I'm just a little overly paranoid, haha.

You have 3 resistors with the same values, any reason you couldn't just use a single resistor for all of the LEDs?

That's a practice we try to discourage for beginners. One resistor per LED. It's cheap insurance for the expensive LEDs we use.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by ltsmash1200 View Post
    I think I'm just a little overly paranoid, haha.
    Being cautious is the best way to avoid destroying expensive electronics.

...aaaaand I fried my board. I've looked at that schematic a billion times. I've gone over the instructions a billion times. And I wired the positive and negative backwards. I guess I just got TOO focused on what I was doing and got ahead of myself. Then I got too excited and didn't double check my wiring like I KNOW I should have.

I know this isn't THAT big a deal because I can just send it over to Zook to get it fixed. It's just frustrating because I KNOW not to do that. I KNOW I should double check my wiring. I KNOW the schematic like the back of my hand. And I just had a brain fart. As soon as it happened I looked at the board and I was like, "you have to be kidding me. How did I do that?!" This is the exact reason I stopped building model airplanes. I get too excited to see the final product, try to go too quickly, and end up with a model that doesn't quite look like the box, haha.

Once I switched the wires, everything else worked fine, so at least there's that.

Blog Entries

That stinks
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    That stinks
    Yeah, I almost wish it didn't work at all and then at least I could blame it on inexperience working with these types of things or my soldering skills not being good enough for something this small. This is just really annoying because it was a totally preventable bonehead mistake that had I double checked, I would have seen and fixed.

On the plus side, I'll never make THAT mistake again...