Thread: Questions before starting my build

Default Questions before starting my build

I currently have a few questions before I start my build. What size screw is recommended for the LED retention (size/length)? Also, how are you guys actually retaining the LED/Heatsink? Is the screw just putting pressure on the side of the heatsink locking it in place, or some other method like actually screwing into the heatsink itself?

Additionally with the B/B/W Tri-Cree, are you guys using both blue LEDs at the same time for the main blade color? I would assume if that were the case, that you would just connect both LEDs to the same main outputs on the Crystal Focus 7.5 board and the white would be connected to the FoC by itself...am i right?

I would really appreciate any advice!
    Last edited by LukeStarkiller; 02-04-2016 at 03:55 PM.

The best way I see to secure the LED module is simply to use a retention screw like you have mentioned. Drill and tap a hole in the appropriate location of the blade holder module and use a set screw to apply pressure to the LED module. An 8-32 or 6-32 set screw of the appropriate length would do.

As for the BBW, I think you should do more reading and research of before you start your build if that's something you haven't figured out yet.

Appreciate the help! I figured out the wiring part pretty easily. Seemed common sense but just wanted to be sure before I did it . Thanks again!

Blog Entries

If you're using a v3 or v4 led module there is no need for a retention screw. The module has a lip that locks the module between the blade holder and the adjacent piece. The heat sinks screw into the modules. The actual led stars are adhered to the heat sink with the star thermal tape.

You will need a retention screw for the blade however.

Look over the CF manual for led wiring.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 02-04-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    If you're using a v3 or v4 led module there is no need for a retention screw. The module has a lip that locks the module between the blade holder and the adjacent piece. The heat sinks screw into the modules. The actual led stars are adhered to the heat sink with the star thermal tape.
    For clarity, Darth Chasm is referring to the MHS LED modules. I was referring to the Graflex 2.0 saber kit, which I'm guessing that you're using based on your other thread. Use whichever method pertains to the project you're referring to.

Blog Entries

Ugh...
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末