Thread: Metal film resitors?

Default Metal film resitors?

Just purchased an NB and was reading through the manual. It said not to use Metal Film resistors for main LEDs. Does anyone know why? I ask because on my previous economy board build I used what is possibly a metal film(light blue) on the red die of a purple mix. I have it wired to the speaker neg through a tip42 to get a nice red flicker and red FoC, using 3aaa. The red die will work for about 10 minutes on fresh batteries, then the board shuts off. If you try to turn it on you get the initial 1 second of boot sound and a flash of purple...board shuts off. However, switching the rotary switch to the blue only setup we have another 45+ minutes...in fact the quantum batteries are still working with probably an hour in. I do know that the red stops when the pack voltage drops below 4.1v. Assuming it was the discharge rate, I ordered an 18500 but now I'm not sure.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 02-04-2016 at 06:59 AM.

Blog Entries

The reason the manual states that is because there's potential for shorts when you use metal resistors in a metal casing, which most of the sabers we build are.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Thanks again Darth.

So since the resistor ends are sheathed in heatshrink, overlapping the housing slightly, the issue is should most likely the battery output limitations then.

MJ