Thread: 1.5" Wide Blades?

Default 1.5" Wide Blades?

A project I'm working might require the use of 1.5" blades to get the look I'm looking for. Has such a thing ever been done? Does Tim offer custom bullet shaped blade tips? Would it light up "properly" or in the same manner as other lightsabers that have a thinner ID? I'm looking at 1/8" thick walls for dueling purposes.

I've never heard of blades (or blade holders for that matter) of that size.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Siow View Post
    A project I'm working might require the use of 1.5" blades to get the look I'm looking for. Has such a thing ever been done? Does Tim offer custom bullet shaped blade tips? Would it light up "properly" or in the same manner as other lightsabers that have a thinner ID? I'm looking at 1/8" thick walls for dueling purposes.
    Do you realize how large a diameter a hilt would need to be to hold that? The ergonomics of holding objects caused the grip forces to drop off very significantly past 1.75" for a 50th% male. Just keep that in mind when you loose grip on it while dueling.

Also be sure it is Polycarbonite or Lexan, not acrylic or clear PVC.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 02-03-2016 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Do you realize how large a diameter a hilt would need to be to hold that? The ergonomics of holding objects caused the grip forces to drop off very significantly past 1.75" for a 50th% male. Just keep that in mind when you loose grip on it while dueling.

Also be sure it is Polycarbonite or Lexan, not acrylic or clear PVC.
    Hmm... I will keep that in mind. Do you have any links that support this? (it's just personal preference, I double check and triple check everything when it comes to building my lightsaber)

15 years of product design with 10 of which are focused exclusively on Ergonomics and Human Factors of handheld products. Several hundred proprietary reports for clients, there are dozens of published papers and charts but many of them require a valid membership to HFES.

General rule of thumb for maximum grip strength (assuming a power grip) the ideal circumference of the grip should be in the 4.5" to 4.9" range. A 1.5" cylindrical grip would be around 4.71"
    Last edited by FenixFire; 02-04-2016 at 01:59 PM.

True but the entire saber doesn't have to be wide to use an extra wide blade - only the bladeholder. The bladeholder could be >2" wide and the actual gripping area behind it much slimmer and more ergonomic. Take the Plo Koon/Luminara Unduli/Mace Windu TPM clan saber design for example; the bladeholder in profile at least is much wider than the grip so even though the blade isn't wider than other sabers onscreen the width of the emitter is such that it could be, at least if the fins were small enough, and the grip would still be normally comfortable [I find my Korbanth MW1 quite comfy and I have small hands]. Or the LEGO saber design [which iirc in Acerocket's run did use a 1.5" blade?]. The real issue for me at least with building a "lightclub" as it was known in the EU is that it would require a full custom solution both blade and matching bladeholder so is a lot of extra work and expense for no practical benefit over 1" blades but if someone really wanted one I suppose it wouldnt be impossible.