Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blade with Plexiglass? (HELP)

Default Blade with Plexyglass? (HELP)

Hi, I couldn't find polycarbonate tube anywhere. What happens if I do with plexiglass?
    Last edited by anlatas; 02-01-2016 at 11:17 PM.

The blade cracks or shatters with sharp edges if it is hit or dropped.

Yep. Acrylic (Plexiglass) is not durable enough for sparring. It's fine if you only want a display piece.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Kouri View Post
    The blade cracks or shatters with sharp edges if it is hit or dropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Yep. Acrylic (Plexiglass) is not durable enough for sparring. It's fine if you only want a display piece.
    Actually you two are only partially right. Plexiglass has become a very generic term like Kleenex or Bobcat.

If the plex is labeled as "Lexan" it is PolyCarbonate if it is labeled as "Lucite" it is Acrylic. If not branded, it is most likely acrylic.
    Last edited by FenixFire; 02-01-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FenixFire View Post
    Actually you two are only partially right. Plexiglass has become a very generic term like Kleenex or Bobcat.

If the plex is labeled as "Lexan" it is PolyCarbonate if it is labeled as "Lucite" it is Acrylic. If not branded, it is most likely acrylic.
    As someone who works in the sign business and handles these materials daily, no, "plexiglass", while a generic term, is reserved for different acrylic materials (the non-generic brand-name is Plexiglas - note the singular "s", with others such as Acrylite and Lucite). We'd never apply it to any sort of polycarbonate.

Perhaps that is true for those of us in the sign or product development industries, but in the general population they do not understand the difference. I know because the company I work for did research for Sabic on brand/product recognition. For general DIY population, they thought Lexan, Lucite, and Plexyglass were all just different manufactures of the same material. For instance walk into your local Ace hardware or Home Depot and ask for Plexiglass you will be directed to the "cheep"or "expensive" plexiglass.

I wanted to use 2cm (~0.80inch) diameter polycarbonate but there is only 3cm (~1.2inches) diameter here. Should I use 3cm for blade? Or is it too thick?

And should I prefer clear or opaque(white) tube? And is 3w power led okay for blade?

Edit: Also what can I use for the blade's tip? I thought I can use melt glue (hot silicon) but idk. Thanks ^^
    Last edited by anlatas; 02-02-2016 at 01:04 AM.

Force Aware
    Blog Entries

3 cm will definitely be too thick to fit in the 1" blade holders unless the wall thickness is sufficient that you could sand or turn down the end of the blade tube to a little under 1"

If it's the same as here in Italy, you will have hard times finding policarbonate tubes in standard shops.

After a lot of searching we managed to find a small company that is extruding the tubes themselves and produce them in many sizes.
    Now this company is producing all the tubes we use at the academy.

I bet if you try searching for a company like this at your home you will find some for sure.

For the blade tip we use acrylic, it's more fragile but it's easier than policarbonate to be machined on the lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Se Wion View Post
    If it's the same as here in Italy, you will have hard times finding policarbonate tubes in standard shops.

After a lot of searching we managed to find a small company that is extruding the tubes themselves and produce them in many sizes.
    Now this company is producing all the tubes we use at the academy.

I bet if you try searching for a company like this at your home you will find some for sure.

For the blade tip we use acrylic, it's more fragile but it's easier than policarbonate to be machined on the lathe.
    I contacted with some companies but they said they have no 20mm polycarbonate anymore. So I bought white plexyglass, I will try with that ^^ But still I didn't find a way for the tip :/ I welcome your suggestions. I will do my sword today.