Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tri Cree XP-E2 RB/RB/W vs B/B/W vs RB/B/W

Default Tri Cree XP-E2 RB/RB/W vs B/B/W vs RB/B/W

I am going to be doing my first ever install on an Obi-TPM hilt. I know that generally people use the B/B/W configuration for the blue color, but I've read some stuff about the Royal Blue LEDs having a really nice color. You obviously lose 'brightness' when you use the Royal Blue over the Blue because of the deepness of the color. For anyone who might have a RB/RB/W setup, is it considerably more dim than a B/B/W setup? I also haven't read anything about anyone doing it, but if you ran a RB/B/W setup, would that add 'brightness' to the blade while retaining some of the deeper color, or would the RB get drowned out by the B?

Welcome to the Forums.

The answer is It depends ™ , it mostly depends on how you see things. Normally rB isn't THAT much darker than a regular blue. I am about to do an install soon that used rB/B/G. Mostly, it just averages out the two different shades.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 01-30-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I look forward to the comparison

I have a B/rB/W LED sitting in my saber parts box. I could maybe do a comparison between either die or both, but I don't have anything to properly drive them with at the moment (except for maybe my CF driver).

I could probably rig something up for testing purposes and do a video. Turn each one on individually (blue, then royal blue) and then together. I could also boot up the Prizm with cyan (blue+green) for a final comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by girot View Post
    I could probably rig something up for testing purposes and do a video. Turn each one on individually (blue, then royal blue) and then together. I could also boot up the Prizm with cyan (blue+green) for a final comparison.
    That would be helpful. Make sure to do it over a white background so it shows an accurate colour

Hey guys this might be a little off topic but I just got B/rB/W Tri Cree.
    I was doing the resistor calculation based off of using a 3.7V supply and running them at 1000mA

For Royal Blue the Forward Voltage is 3.47V so that gives me 0.23 ohm 0.23W
    For Blue the Forward Voltage is 3.41V so that gives me 0.29 ohm 0.29W

These numbers seem ridiculously low. Did I do something wrong because I see some people using 1 ohm resistors for their builds.

Would wiring 0.47ohm 0.5W resistors directly after each positive lead from the dies be OK?

Quote Originally Posted by IkarosReve View Post
    Hey guys this might be a little off topic but I just got B/rB/W Tri Cree.
    I was doing the resistor calculation based off of using a 3.7V supply and running them at 1000mA

For Royal Blue the Forward Voltage is 3.47V so that gives me 0.23 ohm 0.23W
    For Blue the Forward Voltage is 3.41V so that gives me 0.29 ohm 0.29W

These numbers seem ridiculously low. Did I do something wrong because I see some people using 1 ohm resistors for their builds.

Would wiring 0.47ohm 0.5W resistors directly after each positive lead from the dies be OK?
    Yup those will work fine. I'm doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by girot View Post
    Yup those will work fine. I'm doing the same thing.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I didn't want to put a 1 ohm resistor and have the LED be super dim. Also didn't want the LED dies to burn up on me after turning it on a few times lol

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Welcome to the Forums.

The answer is It depends ™ , it mostly depends on how you see things. Normally rB isn't THAT much darker than a regular blue. I am about to do an install soon that used rB/B/G. Mostly, it just averages out the two different shades.
    Hi! Did you ever test/post this rB/B/G combo? I'm super interested to see how this came out.