Thread: Hello, Everyone!

Default Hello, Everyone!

It's great to be here. I explored this site a while ago, and am coming back to it as I have hashed out the basic model for my planned saber out of wood. I'm a medical student, and I've felt a calling towards healing my entire life. My first saber will be a lightsaber designed after the Rod of Asclepius, the staff held by the ancient Greek healing figure, which always had a snake wrapping around it*. The trick for me will be fixing a snake around the hilt, which I've thought of doing with a combination of glue and screws or pins. I've also thought about creating a sort of sheath with the snake around it for a part of the handle, since the snake's body will create ribbing as a grip. I'll see if I can't get some pictures up.

Anywho, I'm currently living in Nebraska, where there isn't nearly as much opportunity for hiking as there was growing up in Colorado. Everyone keeps telling me I went the wrong direction. Thankfully school doesn't leave much time for goofing around.

I look forward to getting more involved with saber-building, but I can't promise I'll have a lot of activity with how busy medical school is. What is likely, though, is that I'll be around here for a while.

Cheers,
    Nathan

*Unlike Hermes' staff, the Caduceus, with two snakes and wings.

Hey dude, welcome to the party. That sounds like a very cool concept. I look forward to seeing it realised

Cool concept I'm looking to do this piece nocturne armory created this but I think he's out of commission for now any ideas how the bone part is done he calls it apocrypha sculpt so it looks likes a sheath that he built of top of anot.hensaber any ideas how to sculpt and make?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your build!

I feel welcomed already!

As for the bone-saber, I would imagine you'd have to get hilt and a pommel, attach them together, and sculpt whatever you want on the outside out of clay or the apocrypha (I don't know what that is though). You could also figure out the outer diameter of a hilt-piece, find a large femur from a deceased horse or a cow or somesuch, and figure out how to precisely cut a hole down the center to turn it into a sheath. I don't know how you'd go about cleaning and treating a real piece of bone though.

Blog Entries

Yes, yes...roadkill saber DO IT.

I digress. Welcome aboard. Your build sounds very SSSSSithy. I think I've seen a snake on a hilt before, just can't remember where. Give it a google and you may find some inspiration.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Welcome to the forums!

Ken from hamptons handcrafted sabers made a saber with a similar concept, I think he cast the snake in a resin

The snake represents a far less evil symbol for me, and I think a green blade should help me show that

I've been looking through Hampton's stuff and I've seen some spiraling designs, but no snake yet. Although, I did see one with a sort of Dragon head cast in resin with the blade coming out of its mouth. He has some slick sabers! Fortunately, I've put together a pretty solid idea of what I want my saber to look like. From pages of sketches to the wooden model underway (which keeps improving).

I've also gotten inspiration to begin a metal second draft, since it would be best to test glues and shapes on piping before going in for the machined parts. It's even helped give me a sort of "Well, fxck it!" attitude towards my wooden draft, which has actually spurred inspiration to continue working on it, even more diligently (and I haven't fxcked it up yet!).

EDIT: I found the special edition Asclepius video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Avn1XE53Q It looks like I have some work to do if I want to be on that level. Fortunately for me, the only thing our sabers will have in common is the snake.
    Last edited by Kreyhn; 02-02-2016 at 10:25 PM.

i think the name of ken's was named asclepius, dont remember if he goes into detail about how he did the snake on it, but the few times i have messaged ken he has been awesome with replying
    Last edited by Tyrant; 02-02-2016 at 10:18 PM.