Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Bass Speaker vs. Premium Speaker

does anyone recommend the 20mm mini speaker?

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by erlomd View Post
    does anyone recommend the 20mm mini speaker?
    Its okay, I've used it twice now. You definitely need some good resonance around it, or it will disappoint you: I used it in Antikva and it sounded great! Used it in a build I'm making now with less natural resonance and its not the greatest and if I had the space I would switch out for a premium.

In other words: It Depends(tm)

I've just used one for a reverse sound set up in a smaller build. I'm pretty happy with it, considering the amount of room I had to fit it in the choke, about an inch behind the heatsink. It does 'hum' from the blade holder surprisingly well but if cram fu was not such an issue, I would just go with the 28mm bass.

I've used the 20mm a few times. its decent but if you can get a 28mm speaker in there don't go for the 20mm. like any kind of speaker is all about air pressure and the less cone area you have the less sound pressure it can create with everything else being equal.

thanks again guys...all your feedback should all go into creating a new york times best seller: "how to build a lightsaber"

Quote Originally Posted by erlomd View Post
    I saw the specs for the mini driver, and its a 2w 40mm 4ohms speaker...although small, not small enough to fit in a chamber that barely fits a 28mm speaker...would be nice to have some top notch acoustics chamber molded into a chassis though...hmmm...
    yeah, actually thinking about it it's a massive speaker compared. Guess my brain wasn't screwed in right when I posted that, hahaha.

Madcow actually has a video for TCSS about this very question.
    It covers bass vs premium and quite a bit on the importance of resonance as well as speaker placement.
    https://youtu.be/XOWnNJE3dRA

He also quiet smartly uses a JST or other connector to his speakers so he can swap them out and demonstrate the difference on the same saber, wish I had bothered to do that. (I'm actually thinking about going back and trying that myself)

For my first build, I went for a replica (non-TCSS) graflex and I found that a 1-3/8" OD aluminum pipe with an inside diameter of 1-1/4" would fit inside perfectly in the graflex shell and allow me to build using parts from TCSS. It also made a really nice resonance chamber, in particular for the bass speaker.
    In fact, with the huge resonance chamber for the bass speaker it *almost* doesn't matter if I'm vented for sound. I've tried it with two graflex bottoms, one ANH where I kind of ruined two drill bits drilling into the 10-32 button head allen bolt holding the D-ring for my stealth sound hole and one where I have two 1/4" holes under the kobald D ring for the TFA/ESB bottom.

But, the bass speaker doesn't sound great with certain fonts. I've been busy/lazy so I haven't messed with fonts much.

So, with a good resonance chamber, I'd say the bass speaker is a good choice. And (for me) loud enough that you don't really need to make sound holes if you're not comfortable cutting into your parts. (Like any speaker, it needed the resonance chamber to be that loud)

That being said, the premium might sound a little more true (because a lot of saber sounds are high pitched) and work with more fonts.

I bought both speakers for this build and part of the reason I went with the bass is it seemed more robust, from reading comments, people seem to have premiums burn out after a while (might be a dueling issue?). But the main reason I used it was because the polished metal on the bass speaker looked a little better when I take the bottom off my replica graflex (still working on etching the aluminum tube for display). It matched the aluminum tube inner chassis better.

TL;DR - In my particular build, replica Graflex, looks were the most important consideration. So I went with a bass speaker.

*of course it matters, it just minimized the effect of the sound holes

Last thought - I was trying to be as careful as possible but I still accidentally touched the membrane of my speaker during wiring/installation. That might have been disastrous if I had used a premium speaker but the bass speaker has that metal part over the membrane. So I think it might be a little more robust/forgiving in terms of user error.

Also, I don't want to double post, so to the people who used/are considering using dual speaker set ups, I think instead of having a premium with a bass behind it, you might want to consider the opposite mounting.
    I used to be a musician so here's my thought: bass sounds usually need a larger resonance chamber due to the nature of the longer frequency of the sound wave. Think about how bass brass instruments like a baritone sax is 3-4 times the size/weight of a soprano sax. Or compare a tuba to a flute.
    A good (electric) bass cabinet is usually considered to be a 1x15 while a good electric guitar cab is usually a 4x12. Or how a double bass is twice the size of a cello and about 16 times more wood than a violin.
    I'm never going to make a dual speaker set up, so it's just a thought.