Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bass Speaker vs. Premium Speaker

Default Bass Speaker vs. Premium Speaker

Just wanted to know what are your takes on either of them...pros and cons...etc.

Im leaning towards the bass speaker for a fuller deeper tone that seems like it would work better with darker more deeper sound fonts. I have no experience with either speaker (or custom saber for that matter). Im building a Graflex 2.0 at the moment with a NBv3 and would like to know more about these two speakers offered at TCSS.

Im also wondering if there is a way to adjust a saber font using either of the 2 speakers in real time (just as you would adjust an EQ for music). so that you can adjust a sound font that you have purchased for optimum quality depending on your speaker & sound card.

I purchased a 28mm premium for my first build but I killed it with some light sparring with my 6yr old daughter! I replaced it with the 28mm bass and although I couldn't really compare them together.......whoa! The bass is loud and I would recommend it

The bass is 2w vs the premium 1.5w, so there's a difference there. I've tried using the bass speaker in every one of my builds and it always sounds terrible to me. There's no high end sounds and it sounds very "rattley" to me.

It's possible that I've got a bad speaker, because it seems like everyone raves about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    I purchased a 28mm premium for my first build but I killed it with some light sparring with my 6yr old daughter! I replaced it with the 28mm bass and although I couldn't really compare them together.......whoa! The bass is loud and I would recommend it
    Thanks! I'm guessing that these are the same speakers used in many of the high bass bluetooth portable speakers like beats or JBL...hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    The bass is 2w vs the premium 1.5w, so there's a difference there. I've tried using the bass speaker in every one of my builds and it always sounds terrible to me. There's no high end sounds and it sounds very "rattley" to me.

It's possible that I've got a bad speaker, because it seems like everyone raves about them.
    its also possible that there might be acoustic interference as well...maybe loose wires? or vibrating against the metal walls of the saber if there isn't a some sort of sound damping?
    the lack of highs is what I'm worried about...thats why I asked if there is a way to equalize the sound of a sound font to better distribute the higher frequencies

Quote Originally Posted by erlomd View Post
    its also possible that there might be acoustic interference as well...maybe loose wires? or vibrating against the metal walls of the saber if there isn't a some sort of sound damping?
    Not sure how likely that is. I've done some pretty thorough testing with speaker holders, chassis placement, padding, etc. When I swap it with a premium speaker, it sounds fantastic!

the lack of highs is what I'm worried about...thats why I asked if there is a way to equalize the sound of a sound font to better distribute the higher frequencies
    I was using bass heavy sound fonts in my tests for that reason. The NB comes with a "dark meat" font and I have one based on Darth Maul's saber.

Thanks! I'm guessing that these are the same speakers used in many of the high bass bluetooth portable speakers like beats or JBL...hmmm...
    The 2w bass speaker bears a strong resemblance to the XMINI 2 drivers, which sound pretty good, even without a resonance chamber (although they do have a collapsible baffle). Although the fact of whether they're the same speaker is still a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    Not sure how likely that is. I've done some pretty thorough testing with speaker holders, chassis placement, padding, etc. When I swap it with a premium speaker, it sounds fantastic!

I was using bass heavy sound fonts in my tests for that reason. The NB comes with a "dark meat" font and I have one based on Darth Maul's saber.
    getting a program like audacity and turning down the gain might help. But mine sounded awesome out of the box. I'm always drawn to dark meat because of the bass when I'm switching through fonts. You are right, might be a bad unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Manadono View Post
    The 2w bass speaker bears a strong resemblance to the XMINI 2 drivers, which sound pretty good, even without a resonance chamber (although they do have a collapsible baffle). Although the fact of whether they're the same speaker is still a mystery.
    I saw the specs for the mini driver, and its a 2w 40mm 4ohms speaker...although small, not small enough to fit in a chamber that barely fits a 28mm speaker...would be nice to have some top notch acoustics chamber molded into a chassis though...hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vislir View Post
    getting a program like audacity and turning down the gain might help. But mine sounded awesome out of the box. I'm always drawn to dark meat because of the bass when I'm switching through fonts. You are right, might be a bad unit.
    so your saying that with the audacity program, you can modify the EQ settings of your sound fonts?...thats sweet!