Thread: Crystal Chambers with the Nano Bisc?

Default Crystal Chambers with the Nano Bisc?

From the information I've gathered a lot of veteran saber builders have crystal chambers and mainly use the CF board to give them ultimate control with accent LED drivers. I'm not seeing a lot of crystal chambers with the Nano Board. Is this because of a lack of accent LED drivers with the Nano Bisc board? I really want to design my own crystal chamber, but also keep stuff simple since it would be my first build and the Nano is definitely more cost effective when it becomes available again. My thinking is that an accent LED (5mm) can be put into the wiring straight from the positive of the battery and then the negative into the board, with resistor added for safe measure of course. The accent LED would come on as soon as the power is activated and turn off when the blade is turned off. Does this seem right? If this can be done then I'm gonna go ahead draw a diagram of my future wiring setup. And start drafting some crystal chamber ideas. Thanks as always for the help.

Wiring as you've described would make the crystal led always on. If you want the led to mirror the blade you need to wire it exactly like the main LED, positive from battery and negative goes to the pad labeled L-.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info Solaren.

Also, the NB manual describes how to wire an accent LED. There is a small 3.3V pad on the NB that can be used for accent LEDs (on when there is power to the board), so you won't need as large of a resistor. There is also another really tiny 3.3V pad that is only on when the saber isn't in deep sleep mode that you can use for an accent LED. The last option is of course wiring in parallel with the blade (which I personally don't like for crystal chambers because you can't display the crystal without the saber being on).

Thank you NanoRex!!! As always yall are the best. I'll keep yall updated on my build. Of course I've gotta get my hands on a nano bisc, whenever that will be.

NanoRex is correct with the options for accents although, IMHO, the crystal should light up only when the blade ignites. My first build was an NBv2. I wired my CC led in parallel with the blade and the AV led to the 3.3v accent pad so the switch is lit when powered (so I can 'find' it in the dark) but, of course, its your choice.
    Good luck with the build

I've used NB amidst exclusively and I do mine with the blade wires. I just run it on parallel and attach strong resistors. I like using 5mm LEDs with a dyna-ohm resistor. I like that resistor for crystal chambers and illuminated switches because it's variable and always does the job well. It's no good for blades though, it's much too strong and will leave you with a dim blade.
    Last edited by CET; 01-30-2016 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks for the info Greenie and CET. It's good to know that a crystal chamber can be accomplished with a cost effective board. Greenie, I see what you mean with the chamber coming on when the saber is activated. I think I'm gonna do it this way but I'll decide once I come up with a cc solution. I've seen the 3d printed ones, but I really want to hit up lowes plumbing section and go crazy. I'll probably do that next week.

I just thought about wiring it in parallel with an illuminated switch. That would activate the chamber on removal of the kill key. Just an idea.

Here's another cool idea that I'm using for my build: If you're building a red, green, or blue saber, you can use an RGB LED and wire the two colours you're not using to the Flash on Clash pad, so the crystal will have Flash on Clash as well