Thread: Which resistor should I use?

Default Which resistor should I use?

Ok so my current build uses a Tri-Cree Red/Red/White set-up (Reds in parallel each with a resistor, White is for FOC). I need advice on which TCSS resistors to use.
    Battery = 3.7v Panasonic 18650
    Board = Nano biscotte V3

Reds: 2.59V @ 1000mA

R = (3.7v - 2.59v) / 1A = 1.11 ohm
    P = 1.11ohm * (1A)^2 = 1.11 Watts

Is it ok to overdrive the reds slightly by 110mA using a 1 ohm, 2Watt resistor? Or should I just go 1.2 ohm, 3Watt ?

White: 3.15V @ 1000mA

R= (3.7v - 3.15v) / 1A = .55 ohm
    P = (.55 ohm) * (1A)^2 = .55 Watt

Do I round up to the 1 ohm, 2 Watt which will probably cause dimming of the LED, or overdrive slightly by using the 0.5 ohm, 3 Watt ?

Thanks guys!

Better safe than sorry so good practice dictates that you do NOT overdrive your LEDs.

Go with the 1.2Ohm 3Watt for the reds and 1Ohm 2Watt for the whites.
    Why did Isendra die? Tell me the truth!

That it is beyond your abilities does not mean it is beyond mine. I learned the lesson of Isendra's death. But I was given my power for a reason, and it is my burden to use it.
    I will use it, not fear it as you do, High Councilor Valthek

you don't think the white LED will be way too dim by almost doubling the resistance needed?

It should work out alright.
    If you're still afraid the white would be too dim you're going to have to get your own .55ohm resistor since I don't think TCSS carries that.

That it is beyond your abilities does not mean it is beyond mine. I learned the lesson of Isendra's death. But I was given my power for a reason, and it is my burden to use it.

I have a GGW LED, and I'm using a 0.5 ohm 3 watt resistor for the white LED.

If you are going to use white as a main color, use the 1 ohm resistor. If you are using the white for FoC, you can overdrive it a little bit because when it's on, it won't be on that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Generic Jedi View Post
    If you are going to use white as a main color, use the 1 ohm resistor. If you are using the white for FoC, you can overdrive it a little bit because when it's on, it won't be on that long.
    ^True. Totally forgot about that.
    Tho I'm still going to stand by rounding up just to be safe.

White washes out other colours anyway so for FOC you won't even notice if it's a touch dimmer