Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wiring check, please.

Yeah, I wanted a setup that would allow for different colors but keep it a stunt saber. I didn't even think about color mixing until Generic said something so huge thank you for that! I wish I had thought about it before I ordered 'cause I could've ordered a custom Amber/Red/Green for six color options rather than the four I'll get with the R/G/rB but oh well. Too impatient.
    Thank you, SS, for double checking!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daaguilar View Post
    Amber/Red/Green for six color options rather than the four I'll get with the R/G/rB but oh well.
    How's does this work?
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

RGrB still give you six combinations: Red, Orange, Green, Cyan, Blue, Purple

The RGrB LED will give you a lot of color options. Besides the colors you get using just one die, you can mix red and green for yellow, green and blue for cyan, and red and blue for purple. You may want to get different sizes of resistors for your red LED. Test the different resistors on the red while mixing it with blue until you find a shade of purple you like.

DynaOhm resistor: must go on the positive wire to the LED in the switch (you have it right in your diagram).
    The DynaOhm has an in or + side that connects to the power source (in this case, the converter board).
    Also an out or - side that connects to the LED.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cire Yeldarb View Post
    RGrB still give you six combinations: Red, Orange, Green, Cyan, Blue, Purple
    Quote Originally Posted by Generic Jedi View Post
    The RGrB LED will give you a lot of color options. Besides the colors you get using just one die, you can mix red and green for yellow, green and blue for cyan, and red and blue for purple. You may want to get different sizes of resistors for your red LED. Test the different resistors on the red while mixing it with blue until you find a shade of purple you like.

DynaOhm resistor: must go on the positive wire to the LED in the switch (you have it right in your diagram).
    The DynaOhm has an in or + side that connects to the power source (in this case, the converter board).
    Also an out or - side that connects to the LED.
    Yeah this is what I was getting at

RGB will pretty much give you any color your eye can see. In very basic terms, you have the base colors at varying levels that can be controlled by resistors. Then you have the second level by mixing two of the 3 base colors. Again, varying the levels of the mixture with resistors will produce different shades. Then you have the third level, mixing all 3 die. On a basic level, this how your TV, computer monitor, phone screen, etc all work to give you all the pretty colors.

EDIT: Check this out to get a better understanding on the theory of RGB color mixing. A slider all the way the left (black) would represent no current to the led, or off. A slider all the way to the right (full color) would represent full current to the die (1000mA). Notice that when all 3 colors are set to full you get white.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 01-29-2016 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Added Link
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

There are a lot of videos in the Informational and Tutorial Videos section of the forums. Check out the Custom Colors Made Simple video. Also the Wiring a Recharge Port video. Those two will help the most with your build, I think. Watch them all. You'll learn a lot.

Thank you guys, all of the input has been a big help. I went through and watched some of the videos, some of them I have already seen and watched again anyway. Still have a lot to learn when it comes to planning and even more so when it comes to building.

Chasm, thank you for that link. I have no idea why it didn't click in my head before but as soon as I saw the sliders everything made sense!

Thanks again, Generic, for the last bit about the dynaohm. Having it right in my diagram was just happenstance so I'm glad I can be sure of that when actually wiring it up.

I'll have to play with the resistors to figure out the colors. Now just to wait for my order to arrive!