Thread: First Build Cree or Rebel

Default First Build Cree or Rebel

1 of: SPST Latching Guarded switch with blue button
    1 of: 2.7ohm 10w resistor
    1 of: 4AAA battery holder with mount
    1 of: Cree Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module or Rebel Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module
    I'm hoping to use the Cree. Would this electronics setup work or are there any changes I should make?

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard.

Your resistor value will depend on the color you've chosen, which you haven't provided.

Im in the process of making two sabers one would use an Amber Cree XP-E2 CopperNova and the other a Blue Cree XP-E2 CopperNova.

Well then you would need two different resistors, wouldn't you?

Or you could use a BuckPuck if you wanted.

So doing some quick math if I'm running them off of 4 aaa batteries which have 6v I need a 3.9ohm 5w resistor for the amber Cree(Forward Voltage @1000mA = 2.65v) and a 2.7ohm 10w resistor for the blue cree(Forward Voltage @1000mA = 3.47v). Can someone confirm if this is right. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FROST View Post
    Im in the process of making two sabers one would use an Amber Cree XP-E2 CopperNova and the other a Blue Cree XP-E2 CopperNova.
    Youll need two resistors with different values based on the each led's specs and your battery voltage, which I think is probably 4.8v. There is a tutorial on ohms law that you can check out to do the calculations.

I won't push the issue, I will only say that a rechargeable li-ion battery will give you better performance.

Good luck and feel free to post your calculations for a accuracy check.

EDIT: You beat me to the punch. Those numbers look right to me.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 01-27-2016 at 10:17 PM.

6 volts for alkaline, 4.8 volts for NiMH.

If you have the room, I would bump up to AA sized alkalines. If you use AAA batteries, your saber will eat them like candy. Rechargeables are much better in the long run, but a little more expensive to start out.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!