Thread: Wiring Check. Thanks in advance.

Default Wiring Check. Thanks in advance.

Could someone just tell me if this is correct? The LED is Blue/Blue/White (Tri-) Cree XP-E2 CopperNova. Previously this set up has worked fine with Luxeon Rebel Star (Blue) and Cree XP-E2 (Green).

Thanks a lot.

Saber Tri Cree.jpg

Assuming that's a latching switch, your diagram will work. I'd probably put a small resistor on each of those LEDs, just to be safe.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Yes it is a latching switch. Thanks again!

So, I ended up wiring this way and it worked fine, without any resistors. All three LED's were lighting up and it was super bright, it looked great. One of my connections, the white LED ended up coming loose and so I removed it to restart. Initially, I attached wires to the positive and negative of each LED, then tested each LED individually. After determining that they all worked individually, I stripped the ends of the wires and twisted them around one another (all 3 positives and all 3 negatives, separately of course) then attached them as is shown in the diagram. As I said, this worked.

After doing it over again, I again tested each LED individually and, again, they all work fine. However, every time I twist them together it won't light up. In troubleshooting I decided to try to just wire the 2 blue LED's together in this fashion and when I did so they both lit up. Then I took it apart again and tested each LED individually and all three worked, but again when all three were wired in together, it would not light up again.

Not really sure why this would work initially then not again, seems odd. I am willing to try it again with resistors though I am still confused as to why it would work before and not now, I just don't know where I would put each resistor.

In position 1, 2, 3, or 4. And which resistor?

Saber Tri Cree.jpg
    Last edited by DopeChicken; 01-25-2016 at 07:00 AM.

Use three resistors, in either position 1 or 2 (not both, just pick one).

As for the issue with lighting up, I would think the possible issues would be:

1. Battery needs to be charged. 9 times out of 10, a saber issue can be fixed by charging the battery.
    2. Poor wiring connections. Be sure everything is soldered properly, and not just twisted together.
    3. LEDs are drawing too much current for the battery. Your diagram says the battery is a 3400mAh, so I assume that's an 18650 cell. If so, overdrawing the current is unlikely once you get some nominal resistors in place.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

When trying to determine which resistors to use, which current value do I use? The page for the Blue/Blue/White tri-cree reads:

"Blue/Blue/White Cree XP-E2 CopperNova

Blue Cree Part# XPEBBL-L1-0000-00301
    45.7 Minimum Luminous Flux @ 350mA
    Forward Voltage @1000mA = 3.47v

White Cree Part# XPEBWT-L1-0000-00F51
    266 Minimum Luminous Flux @ 1000mA
    Forward Voltage @1000mA = 3.15v"

For the White Cree Part it doesn't matter, both values are 1000mA but for the Blue part do I use 350mA or 1000mA? In one case I calculated that I should use a 1 Ohm, 1/4 watt resistor and in the other a 1 Ohm 2 watt resistor, respectively.

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

The current for forward voltage is what you want.
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 01-28-2016 at 07:03 AM.