Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar with SF hilts?

Default Anyone familiar with SF hilts?

Hello, TCSS forum members! I'm a complete novice to the art of saber-crafting, but I want to modify my current hilt to have full electronics (l.e.d., sound, aux. switch, the works). The problems I think I'm going to run into once I start completing my hilt are 1) the only piece that comes unscrewed is the pommel, and 2) around the switch section of my saber there is a quarter-inch thick inner ring that spans the entire switch section length on the inside, which is probably going to be a nightmare for installing switches. My hilt is a Saberforge (I know, I know) arbiter V2. It seems like a chassis system would fit if I made it as compact as possible, and I could probably use a screw of some kind to secure an l.e.d. module, but as far as getting it all in there, I'm a little stumped. Is anyone familiar with SF hilts and how to d.i.y. electronics install on them? I know it's a lot to ask, given SF's... popularity... but if anyone could help out, it would be very much appreciated! Thanks

We're familiar with them. You already know our opinions.

In my personal opinion, the best option (other than building a new saber from scratch) is to completely gut the internals of your saber, and start with TCSS guts. I'm not entirely sure how you'd go about dismantling it enough to make a reinstall easy.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

no-droids.jpg

You're not going to find help for those products here.

It's probably doable. Might be tricky due to some of said company's design decisions, but if you gave the inner dimensions of the hilt, we could give you more suggestions as to how to install TCSS electronics.

fx-sabers.com/forum/ is the best place to go for info on this.

So, it doesn't have any internals currently, the hilt itself is 10.4 inches long, the grip section goes for about 5 inches before it comes to that weird inner section that I mentioned where it goes from about 1.25 in. internal diameter to about 1 in, just from eyeballing it. That goes for about 1.5 inches then opens back up in the emitter section, which is about 4 inches. I'm just eyeballing it on those dimensions, so I'm probably a little off, but I guess that leaves me with about 5 or so inches inside the grip for a chassis system or something like that. I'm mainly worried about the switch section, since the inner diameter in that section is smaller.

Awesome, thanks.

The MHS V1 chassis discs in the store have an outer diameter of 1.24", so they fit nicely inside of a 1.25" ID hilt and you'll be able to use those to hold your electronics. You should get an exact measurement to be sure. You will probably have to drill your own holes to mount the switches.

it looks like there are already holes, they just have these stand-in kinda things in the switch holes. They just look like they're glued in, so they shouldn't be too difficult to remove (hopefully!).
    SaberHilt.jpg

one idea I had is to somehow find a way to mount an activation box onto the hilt, then use short switches in the box and just run the wires from the switches through the existing holes
    Last edited by Tirreg_Kolar; 01-25-2016 at 04:32 PM.
    "I don't believe it!"
    "That is why you fail."

You shouldn't need an activation box...you should just be able to mount some short 16mm AV switches right in those holes, if you can get the little plugs out.