Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sourcing Crystal Chamber Parts and Chassis Cover

Default Sourcing Crystal Chamber Parts and Chassis Cover

I have collected a few odds and ends to build a CC on my next build.

I plan to use TCSS chassis discs #2 and #5 for the ends. I have brass fittings from Home Depot that will hold the crystal and LED. I have brass tubing from TCSS, and I ordered some quartz crystals from Amazon.

Now, I have seen folks use some very cool looking flexible brass tubing and other types of small brass tubing so and wires. Where are you guys sourcing this?

Also, I am looking for ideas to shroud the battery and sound card, so that it looks cool when the handle is removed. Perforated brass sheet? Problem is that it needs to be something breathable, removeable and thin enough to fit inside the MHS tube.

Hopefully all that makes sense!

Blog Entries

K&S metals is a hobby metal manufacturer that makes the small tubes, bars, rounds, sheets, etc. I pick it up at either a local Blick art supply or the Rainbow hardware store near me. Just yesterday I picked up a 1lb bag of scrap they sell. Full of different sizes and shapes. $15

Whatever you choose for the board and battery make sure it's insulated in one way or another. Don't want any shorts. Why not try pvc and paint it the way you want it to look?
    Last edited by darth_chasm; 01-10-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Issue with pvc may be thickness, but I will look at that option. Thanks!

Any other ideas for encasing the battery and board? I plan to build on a TCSS chassis system and encase that somehow and still have it fit in the handle.

Blog Entries

An idea I was toying with at one point was to use the disks for 1.15 id parts inside an aluminum tube with a 1.25 OD. Problem was, I didn't want to turn down the tube by hand and the closest corresponding ID I could find was 1.18.

Maybe you can brainstorm on this track...

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    An idea I was toying with at one point was to use the disks for 1.15 id parts inside an aluminum tube with a 1.25 OD. Problem was, I didn't want to turn down the tube by hand and the closest corresponding ID I could find was 1.18.

Maybe you can brainstorm on this track...
    If I were using the NB this would have been viable. I was looking to see if there were any 1.15 discs for the PC/Prizm, but there were not. I have time since I am waiting for the metal chassis discs to come back in stock. So, my big issue would be clearance.

I have seen some killer chassis where it looked like what a real saber would look like and all the battery and electronics were well hidden. I do not have any fancy machinery so I am trying to brainstorm ways to do it.

Blog Entries

Yeah most of those were done with machines. It would be nice to have all those toys.

Im working on a full reveal now as well. I've opted to go the 3D printed route. I'll probably have a small update to the build log today if you want to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Yeah most of those were done with machines. It would be nice to have all those toys.

Im working on a full reveal now as well. I've opted to go the 3D printed route. I'll probably have a small update to the build log today if you want to check it out.
    Nice, I have seen a few 3D printed ones that are pretty cool, but I just prefer the look of metal.

Blog Entries

You can 3D print in metal

Mine is a mix of both plastic and metal parts. You could do all metal if you wanted, but the cost may be ridiculous.

It's pretty expensive, but 3D printing can be done with metal as well. I've also seen "metallic plastic" 3D printing materials that are a mix of metal and plastic to give it a metallic look. If you need a really specialized part that would be difficult to make without machines, that's always an option.