Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Powder Coating Machined Grooves

Default Powder Coating Machined Grooves

Hey, i was curious what the best way to get nice clean PC'd grooves is?

Like this

solarblack4.jpg

Since only solid-color powder coating is available, you'll likely have to sand the aluminum back down to get rid of the color on the outside.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

I've had pretty good luck just hitting my pieces with black spray paint and wiping it with an acetone rag while wet. It's not PC, but it's an area that doesn't get directly handled, so it should hold up fine.

to do it in PC you would coat the entire part, then for the best finish turn(lathe) the part shaving off the PC were not wanted.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by BZWingZero View Post
    Since only solid-color powder coating is available, you'll likely have to sand the aluminum back down to get rid of the color on the outside.
    This is the way I would have said

Ok awesome, thanks you guys!

How would sanding off the powder outside the grooves affect the appearance of the metal surface as opposed to a fresh, unpowdered piece? Is there a best technique for sanding the powder off?

Slow and steady. Depending on the finish you want on the exposed metal, you may need to polish it a bit afterwards.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I would also use something that has a bit of a 'stiff' backing to the sandpaper... (ie a block or something)

to keep things level and consistent where it 'sands'. fingers may add dips or wander from/into grooves..etc

Quote Originally Posted by Inf4mous View Post
    Hey, i was curious what the best way to get nice clean PC'd grooves is?

Like this

solarblack4.jpg
    It's a powder

Before it goes in the oven to be cured, you simply wipe off the areas u don't want coated off with your finger.

(I own a powder coat shop)