Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crystal Chamber Jealousy - "Calla" V2

Default Crystal Chamber Jealousy - "Calla" V2

So ... the heart of a saber is its crystal ... well, I couldn't take it any longer and I had to satisfy my inner nerd rage, so here it is, Calla V2, with sound, new color pallet AND a crystal .... the crystal does light up and I also added a paracord wrapped grip , hope you guys like it .

Thanks for looking !

I like your crystal chamber. Good work on the upgrade.

Looks really good man!!

Nice lines!

The crystal is really clear, how does it look when illuminated? I've taken to clouding my crystals so that they glow more.

Nice chamber, clean. I really like the removable cover for the reveal!

Blog Entries

Cool. Nice job.

Impressive. What size pvc are you using?

Thank you all for the responses !! Ill try to answer these questions best I can .

Quote Originally Posted by CET View Post
    Nice lines!

The crystal is really clear, how does it look when illuminated? I've taken to clouding my crystals so that they glow more.
    The crystal looks decent, but not like I would like it to in the fact that even though it lights up, it doesn't "glow" .
    Im going to do a vid on the saber shortly, hopefully that will answer the glow and brightness questions from the previous thread

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vislir View Post
    Impressive. What size pvc are you using?
    Many sizes lol .
    The main core, the black main tube of PVC is 1" id or 1.25" od .
    This core holds everything including the blade and battery pack and is also what the 2 bigger, 1.25" id gun metal pieces, attach to .
    The crystal chamber is made up of 1" od and .75" od PCV .

One thing I wanted to avoid was a large diameter saber .
    The main core, with the 550 paracord wrap is 1.5" in total diameter as is the entire saber .
    Last edited by Ds Scavenger; 01-23-2016 at 05:04 PM.

So here's an update / upgrade .

Over the last couple nights after work, boredom has gotten the best of me and I decided, well, was more like forced to, make a rechargeable battery pack for Calla .
    I wanted a charging system / battery pack that was easy to make and easy to use and something that could be charged off almost any source .

Calla's OS runs off of 4.5 volts , so with this in mind, I decided that using a USB 2.0 setup was the way to go since USB 2.0 puts out roughly 5 volts give or take a pinch .
    This still left me at a somewhat disadvantage because using a USB 2.0 source mneans you have to be around a PC of some sort .
    The way I remedied this was to use an old phone charger that outputs 4.4 volts at 250mah and splice a USB connection onto it .
    For the saber side, I raided one of my old gaming PC's for its auxiliary USB 2.0 module for its front cover and presto, USB 2.0 support for Calla's charging system .

Heres some pics of what I did ...

Old Sprint phone charger with USB 2.0 plug spliced onto it

The USB module from the front cover of the old gaming rig

My custom drinking straw power pack with 3 AA rechargeable batteries

The new USB module on the front of Callas old chassis

The old chassis with the new USB inside of its housing and attached back to Calla

So now I can recharge Calla from the wall charger ( old sprint phone charger ) or a PC through the USB 2.0 or even from a car phone charger .
    Best part of all of this though, is I can actually use Calla to charge my phone, or charge Calla and my phone at the same time from the wall mounted charger !!!

Ill post some vids of all of it up and working and charging and makings sounds and everything shortly !!
    Last edited by Ds Scavenger; 01-23-2016 at 05:11 PM.

Hi there!

Funny first post for me, but I gotta say; this charging addition is great! Taking what you have and making it work is right up my alley.

Your pictures of hacked bits, spliced wires and mixed parts and pipes (not to mention that it can charge your phone too!) should be so much more of an inspiration to newer builders than the promise of 3D printers and the like. This is what it's all about!

It's so damn punk rock it makes me want to go out and smash something!

Great stuff!